• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor's garbage can

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA.

This is abit of a strange question, but here goes anyway:

My next door neighbor is being evicted, she has already moved, but the power is still on and some of her things are still there. (she hasn't been back in 9 days to get anything.)

She has her garbage can sitting in front of the house, about 30 feet from my yard. The can is overflowing and has not been emptied for 2 weeks now. We are in a rural area and when garbage piles up in my neighbor's cans, I get lovely little unwanted house guests- alot of field mice.

My question is- can I get into any legal trouble if I go over and take the garbage can out to the street to be emptied on garbage pick-up day?
If I can't do it, could her landlord legally do it?

I hope one of us can because I HATE mice and I'm tired of them coming in because my neighbors are slobs.

Some Random Guy

If she has not paid for trash service, then they may not empty a garbage can, even when placed at the curb.

That being said, who in this rural area will notice you moving the can and report you to the garbage police?

Gracie3787

Thank you for the reply. I decided that I'm going to make sure there is only garbage in the can and take it out to the street. I talked to our town mayor and she said that it would be okay for me to do that, and if anyone had a problem with me, they should take it up with her.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Gracie -
With all due respect, this seemed like a no brainer to me. I often take my neighbor's cans to the street when he is unable to due to extended absences. This is really no different.
Furthermore, you could put the can in front of YOUR house to be emptied if they won't empty it...

Gracie3787

Gracie -
With all due respect, this seemed like a no brainer to me. I often take my neighbor's cans to the street when he is unable to due to extended absences. This is really no different.
Furthermore, you could put the can in front of YOUR house to be emptied if they won't empty it...
It would seem to be a no brainer, but there are a couple of problems with that-

1. The landlord has filed a legal eviction, even he cannot go onto the property until the eviction is finalized.

2. The lady that just moved out was a little strange and left alot of her stuff there. Her childrens' bicycles, clothes, bar-b-q grill, washer and dryer, and other stuff is stacked next to the garbage can. She is strange enough that I'm afraid that she would accuse me, or someone else of stealing things if we go over and move anything.

I used to be an apartment manager, and it never ceases to amaze and sicken me to see how many parents will move out and leave thier own childrens' things behind. I'll be glad when the eviction is final, then everything can be cleaned up. (sorry, just venting a little).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">