• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbors gas line on my property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ohmy666

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?PA
How can I get my neighbor's gas line removed from my property? There are no documents filed with the courts or Gas Co. It is about 2 feet beyond the right of way. My neighbor has mulched, stoned, and planted the ROW and his paved driveway goes through it as well. He does own 20 feet on the other side of the ROW in which he planted and mulched. He has tried to put a permanent fence up, but then we showed him the deed. Since then he has removed one of his plants from the easement, put a temporary fence around his plants in the winter due to deer, puts his garbage cans on our property, walked his dog through our property and let him crap everywhere. We called the cops each time and finally we are taking him to court with pictures and witnesses for trespassing and the dog catcher for craping all over. Since then, he stands at the top of his driveway but lets the dog still go in our ROW. I have sent many letters to his attorney offering to sell it/remove it but nothing. How can I get my neighbor to move his gas line, replace lawn with grass, and revoke his ROW? Since he owns 20 feet he would still have a way in and out. His driveway is half on his property and half on the ROW at the bottom,but on the top, it is all on my property(ROW). The 20 feet by 200 ft he owns has about 20 pine trees through it. I would just like him to move everything into his 20 feet. He bought the property in 1997. The previous owner bought the land and built it in 1986. I bought my house in 2003. So what can I do to make it all right?

well as a texan, i would have spoken alot more with my neighbor before i called the cops on him for his dog pooping. too often these days people hardly know their neighbors and call the police way too much for little problems. just remember every time you call the police for dog poop, there's one less cop on the street to combat real crime. cops hate these types of cases because they can't do their real job because 2 neighbors can't get along. my advice is to keep videotaping. when you feel you have enough evidence, sue his ass. but please stop calling the police everytime his dog takes a crap in your yard. thats a waste of tax payer's money.

ohmy666

Neighbor's gas line on my property

It seemed like that was the only thing the cops would do something about. We have talked to him previously, but he won't stop. He thinks he owns the whole street. How do I get the gas lined moved if he won't move it himself? I was going to write a letter to the gas co.

jkwest

cant you do some yard work with a back hoe and if by chance you break the pipe line oops .....to bad its on your property..just make sure your know where the shut off is....it could get ugly if you dont

Happy Trails

jkwest said:
cant you do some yard work with a back hoe and if by chance you break the pipe line oops .....to bad its on your property..just make sure your know where the shut off is....it could get ugly if you dont
I think you were only kidding about this, at least I hope you were.

It is required by law to notify "Pennsylvania One Call" in order to locate all buried lines, to prevent accidently cutting into buried lines.

In many states there are huge fines for not following the proper procedure.

ohmy666

ROW signed on 9-21-87 for power only which includes cable, phone, etc. but only the easement is on deed(ingress-egress). do the utilities need to sign a new agreement with every new owner? When we did the PA1 call they said their was no gas line on our property so we told them we would bring it in and put it on their desk if you don't believe us. Then they came out and marked from meter to road because that is what gas co. owns (which was about 3 feet). They wouldn't mark from meter to neighbors house (300 feet)because they do not own the gas just the meter. there are no documents anywhere for gas to be there.

ohmy666

First, you have to have a right away agreement from the gas company signed by me(homeowner) allowing it to be there and then a right away agreement signed by neighbor for it to be there. There are no ROW agreements at the court house for the gas line and none on file with the gas co. Being that this gas is not on ROW and in my actual yard, ROW/easement law do not apply. I AM responsible for it if something goes wrong. So, my attorney will write a letter to gas co. requesting they move it in 10 days. If no response, next letter sent will be notification that we are hiring a plumber to remove meter and cap the line.
The tresspassing and dog control hearing went OK. Both cases are being left open, no fine YET, even with pictures, he even had his attorney and a court reporter there $$$. I hope he feels like the property lines are closing in on him. Wait until his gas is shut off!

S

seniorjudge

ohmy666 said:
First, you have to have a right away agreement from the gas company signed by me(homeowner) allowing it to be there and then a right away agreement signed by neighbor for it to be there. There are no ROW agreements at the court house for the gas line and none on file with the gas co. Being that this gas is not on ROW and in my actual yard, ROW/easement law do not apply. I AM responsible for it if something goes wrong. So, my attorney will write a letter to gas co. requesting they move it in 10 days. If no response, next letter sent will be notification that we are hiring a plumber to remove meter and cap the line.
The tresspassing and dog control hearing went OK. Both cases are being left open, no fine YET, even with pictures, he even had his attorney and a court reporter there $$$. I hope he feels like the property lines are closing in on him. Wait until his gas is shut off!
The gas company has a prescriptive easement and will not move the line.

The easement is a burden on the land and who owns the land that the easement runs over is irrelevant.

You break, you pay.

ohmy666

I have no dispute over the ROW for West Penn Power. The gas line however was put their in 1987. PA law says prescriptive is 21 years, so I still have 2 years to get a plumber to cap and remove it, right?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">