• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbors from hell and getting worse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bagged123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT
for the past 7 years our neighbors have made our lives hell, from loud all night parties on the weekends, to using out backyard when we're away camping, to throwing trash in our yard, and then some. Is there anything we can do? I live in CT?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT
for the past 7 years our neighbors have made our lives hell, from loud all night parties on the weekends, to using out backyard when we're away camping, to throwing trash in our yard, and then some. Is there anything we can do? I live in CT?
Do you call and report the loud parties to the local constabulary? What do your municipality's codes say about the illegality of your neighbor's behavior? :cool:

bagged123

re

we call, but when the cops come, they turn everything down and spot lights off and then when they leave, they fire everything back up. Its all summer long.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
we call, but when the cops come, they turn everything down and spot lights off and then when they leave, they fire everything back up. Its all summer long.
So, you call the LEO again. And again. Every time. Someone will get tired of it. :cool:

bagged123

re

I put arborvities down with a small iron fence due to we can't dig deep enough for fence post (too many rocks when we get too deep). I go out today to do some lawn work and they already started destroying the trees and mulch. he had his leaf blower out sunday before we left and most of the mulch I put it is now blown in my lawn and tree branches are laying on the ground from being pulled off

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I put arborvities down with a small iron fence due to we can't dig deep enough for fence post (too many rocks when we get too deep). I go out today to do some lawn work and they already started destroying the trees and mulch. he had his leaf blower out sunday before we left and most of the mulch I put it is now blown in my lawn and tree branches are laying on the ground from being pulled off
Then you file a report and check with code enforcement to see if any local codes were violated.

An owner may prune branches that overhang their property (basically cut vertically up from the property line).

Would we be correct in assuming that you planted the arborvities clearly on your property, and not on the property line? Have you been maintaining the foliage so that it does not overhang over the property line?

Perhaps you should consider covering your side of the fence with hardware cloth or chicken wire to limit the ability of the leaf blower to blow debris on your side.

bagged123

I planted them last week, so there's no need to prune quite yet. I planted them about a foot in from the property line and then put landscaping edge right down the property line and mulch around the trees. Even when I was planted them the kids were pulling the branches off, I had to tell the kids several times to stop. It's been worse since I asked them to keep their kids and driving their power wheels off of my lawn due to I renovated my lawn and working on growing a new lawn last fall.

LdiJ

I planted them last week, so there's no need to prune quite yet. I planted them about a foot in from the property line and then put landscaping edge right down the property line and mulch around the trees. Even when I was planted them the kids were pulling the branches off, I had to tell the kids several times to stop. It's been worse since I asked them to keep their kids and driving their power wheels off of my lawn due to I renovated my lawn and working on growing a new lawn last fall.
You really need a fence. There has to be some way to construct one.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
"Good fences make good neighbors."

t-posts and garden fencing. or chicken wire. or hardware cloth. Abide by whatever local law dictates for height and distance from property line.

(I'd advise against deer fencing, though.)

bagged123

re

so the saga continues, I had a fence put up in the back yard. The neighbors came home from work and all gathered together in ones yard looking and making comments about the fence. My neighbor right next to me approached me going off, stating that he's going to cut down my trees between our houses if I'm one inch over the property line, and I better have had permits for everything, etc. (no permit needed for my fence do its its under 6' and the permit was pulled for my deck, so not worried) and this lasted about 20 minutes or so. When he ended his tirade he said that he's going to become the a**hole neighbor from now on. I just said "ok" and walked away.

Now, I have the plan of my lot and its the [as-built] plan with the house markings, grade, etc. on it, I showed him I had that and he said that it's not valid and that your land has to be surveyed every 2 years. (I guess property lines move every 2 years).

If he does start cutting my trees down between the houses or causing any other damage to the trees, fence, etc. is there anything I can do? Now my wife and 3 kids are actually worried that they're going to do something when we're not home to do something to them when the wife and I are out.

so the fun continues for the remainder of our time in the neighborhood.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
If he starts cutting down trees on your property you can sue for the cost of replacement trees. He may only prune branches that are hanging on his side of the property line, and only up to the property line.

HOWEVER, the problem is documenting it - and do you really want to set up security cameras aimed at your property line to catch him trespassing? Because it will be up to you to prove that he's done it - your local police department is not going to go all CSI over some trees, and he'll lie in court... Or maybe he won't, now that he's willing to openly make threats, and his obnoxious kids feel free to romp on your property vandalizing your bushes.

It's time to start learning how and where to file reports. Do not engage directly. File one every time you witness the kids or Dad in your yard. File one every time you find something vandalized.

Also, you ARE in CT - depending on where you are, there might be some rules about tree removal that would even preclude you from removing trees on your property, never mind a trespasser.

bagged123

Ok fence is up and now their kids want to climb on the rocks on our
Property as the parents drink. We can't plant anything do its all rocks above
and under the soil. What can we put up to keep them off? We've asked several
times and yet they still do it.

How can I post a pic of what I have behind my fence?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">