• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbors from hell: What can I do regarding nuisance tenant neighbors?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hmm...

PHILA, PA

I own a rowhouse to save money during grad school, but my neighbor is a welfare couple with multiple 5+ kids with a huge extended family in the area playing music loudly during the day and often late into the evenings and also leaves trash strewn around their property that often lands on mine. We no longer communicate after a dispute regarding respecting property lines. They would occupy the entire walkup with lawnchairs and their kids would would sit on my front door step and run around on my lawn. They would yell at me when I told them to stay off, but after several occasions, they stopped when the police was called to lecture them about property boundaries. The police suggested a fence, and when I built it, they reported the city inspectors on me, but everything was legal.

I've tried to ignore them, but they still blast music and on several occasions I had to call the police when they were blasting past 1AM. I've written to the landlord, but the problem is that the landlord only cares that his rent is paid and not my complaints. Recently I was punched in the nose when I saw them going opening my gate and going around my fence and told them to get off. There is an ongoing criminal investigation, but when the police came, they said there were marks on the other party (WTF?) and no one was being arrested. The officer also said that the past property complaints were petty, which I guess is understandable as my neighbors would immediately cleaned up and rushed in the house when they saw me call the cops. They would always be very well mannered in front of the cops, but would yell like a rapper from the hood at me. What should I do or should I just suck it up for a few years until I graduate? Is there anyway I can get them evicted? Tenant/landlord court doesn't really apply here as I am an owner, while they are tenants.

Last edited:

hmm...

I was simply wondering if there any nuisance laws that would ameliorate my situation considering they are breaking city noise ordinances and had flagrantly trespassed on my property when I explicitly told them not to. I only mentioned relevant information as they do not appear to work and are always at home and subsequently blast music at random hours during the work day. I suspect that their size of their family is a reason why they feel the need to need more space than they renting. I intentionally left out the ethnicity as it was irrelevant so any conclusions you may have reached is solely based on your own stereotypes.

Last edited by a moderator:

dlw99

Notify neighbors in writing that they are not to trespass and mentinon past incidents on your lawn, front porch, etc... Send copy to local police dept.

Take photos and videos of any violation of trespassing.

See if you can find decible level meter and report code violations if there are any.

Show documentation to the cops.

OR, simply attend their parties, drink all their booze, and sleep through all the noise!

FarmerJ

Many communities have ordinances or policies that after a certain number of visits by the police records of the police calls get sent to a city , county atty who then uses local ords ( anything from taking legal action against a LL to hefty fines designed to get LLs attention) to apply pressure on to the LL to end the problem. Ending the problem could also mean LL getting rid of the problem tenant in order to get local authoritys off LLs back, Keep calling the police!

usafdrew

I agree with those that said to document everything and keep calling the authorities. While it may take exhaustive efforts on your part, eventually it will start to pay off. Make sure you are in the clear too though. Do not succumb to these low-life's tactics as it sounds like they are the type of folks that have nothing but time while you are busy going to school to BE something. I have had to deal with a similar neighbor, but after so many calls to the authorities, they are now forced to be in compliance. However, I often get the snickering, badmouthing and occasional 'flipped bird' when I'm outside. I just dismiss it as childish behavior from a 50-some year old :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">