• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor's House in disrepair-Want to sell ours

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

twldee

What is the name of your state? California
2 houses away, Neighbors have peeling paint, weeds, debris, broken window etc. at their house. This is a private road with shared easements for traffic passgae. My next door neighbors want to put their house on the market and every agent who has come by has said that this property is a detractant to their sale. Owner is non receptive.
Is there any case law I can site where a lawsuit has been filed for devaluing others property and detracting from the sale?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!!
Troubled in California

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

twldee said:
What is the name of your state? California
2 houses away, Neighbors have peeling paint, weeds, debris, broken window etc. at their house. This is a private road with shared easements for traffic passgae. My next door neighbors want to put their house on the market and every agent who has come by has said that this property is a detractant to their sale. Owner is non receptive.
Is there any case law I can site where a lawsuit has been filed for devaluing others property and detracting from the sale?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!!
Troubled in California

My response:

Subject to the limitations and requirements imposed by your neighbor's mortgage company (assuming there's a mortgage), a homeowner can lay "waste to his/her property." Remember, as long as the house and property is not a health hazard, a person's home is their castle.

How about offering your neighbor a fully paid clean-up, lawn installation, and paint job? I can't imagine any homeowner refusing that! So what if it costs 3 or 4 thousand? Look what you have to gain, and that's where it's at!

IAAL

twldee

Thanks. I tried the clean-up route. I offered that, he accepted and then he had too much to drink and it backfired. I had my power washer all ready to go. I bought 5 gallons of primer to get started! We had 6 people in the neighborhood ready to work!
Got any other suggestions?
Does a health hazard have to be to others or can it just be to themselves?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

twldee said:
Thanks. I tried the clean-up route. I offered that, he accepted and then he had too much to drink and it backfired. I had my power washer all ready to go. I bought 5 gallons of primer to get started! We had 6 people in the neighborhood ready to work!
Got any other suggestions?
Does a health hazard have to be to others or can it just be to themselves?

My response:

So, your neighbor is a drunkard. I always love new facts, and wasting my time suggesting a "fix" that was already tried. Why didn't you put those facts into your original post?

Have a nice life.

IAAL

twldee

I'm sorry you feel your time was wasted. I was asking for legal case law about run down property and neighbor rights. Whether I offered to clean it up was insignificant to my original question. This was only offered relative to your suggestion that came after.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

twldee said:
I'm sorry you feel your time was wasted. I was asking for legal case law about run down property and neighbor rights. Whether I offered to clean it up was insignificant to my original question. This was only offered relative to your suggestion that came after.

My response:

Your job on this, or any, message board is to let the people know, to whom you're asking for advice, everything that you know and have tried. My response was to keep you from involving outside authorities if possible; e.g. the courts, and trying to help you come up with a quick, workable, solution to your problem.

That's my job.

Have a nice life.

IAAL

twldee

On the contrary. I define "my job" quite differently than you. My job is to be as brief as possible and avoid filling another with insignificant details. I want to know if there is any case law on the books relative to this topic and wherte I might find it? It's that simple.
I don't need to tell you he is a drunk, or that he has a beat-up old car, that he is a diabetic and has brown hair. Non of this is relevant. And "your job" is to keep it simple and straight forward!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

twldee said:
On the contrary. I define "my job" quite differently than you. My job is to be as brief as possible and avoid filling another with insignificant details. I want to know if there is any case law on the books relative to this topic and wherte I might find it? It's that simple.
I don't need to tell you he is a drunk, or that he has a beat-up old car, that he is a diabetic and has brown hair. Non of this is relevant. And "your job" is to keep it simple and straight forward!

My response:

Good luck getting someone to respond to you.

IAAL

BelizeBreeze

twldee said:
On the contrary. I define "my job" quite differently than you. My job is to be as brief as possible and avoid filling another with insignificant details.
And those you ask for help decide what facts are signifigant and which aren't.
I want to know if there is any case law on the books relative to this topic and wherte I might find it?
It's that simple.
Want to bet?
I don't need to tell you he is a drunk,
Wrong, and relevant.
or that he has a beat-up old car,
Wrong, and very relevant.
that he is a diabetic
Wrong, might be relevant depending on other facts.
and has brown hair.
Correct. Irrelevant.
Non of this is relevant.
and that is NOT your decision unless of course, you are an attorney. But then, if you were you wouldn't need the help of this forum.
And "your job" is to keep it simple and straight forward!
O.K. here's simple and straightforward (one word by the way.)
Your attitude is why I would not let you on my property and why you will receive no further help on this issue. If you don't like that, then walk or drive to your local library and do your own research.

PghREA

The alcoholic, brown-haired diabetic has a right to the quiet enjoyment of his property. It dosn't matter if his windows are broken and the paint is peeling.
His home is his castle. Tell the neighbors to put up a privacy fence.

Check with the local municipality to see if anything can be done on a local level.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">