• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbors housing homeless man in storage shed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Accord_Driver

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I reside in Miami-Dade county in the state of Florida. The people next door to me are housing a homeless man in their storage shed which is located in their fenced backyard. The homeless man has two dogs which for the majority of the time are quiet. However, the dogs always bark when the homeless man either leaves or enters the backyard.

Here is where the problem begins. The homeless man sleeps all day in the shed, but comes out a night. He is a night owl who decides to leave and enter the backyard at odd hours in the night. Sometimes past midnight, other times at around 3:00am. This causes the dogs to bark. Unfortunately, our bedroom is located on the side of our house that is close to the fence that separates the properties where the shed is located. The barking dogs always wake us up. This occurs almost every night. Also, the homeless man sometimes yells and makes noises.

I have spoken to the homeowners before. This calms the homeless man and we have peace and quiet. But it usually only lasts days, and then it is back to hearing the noise. Since this showed me that the homeowners were not going to stop housing the homeless man, I decided to seek help with the county.

I placed an anonymous complaint with the county (in Miami-Dade county, it is done by calling 311). They told me it would be an issue handled by the building code department and it would be investigated.

The problems with the homeless man continued. So I called for a follow up to my compliant and the county employee told me the case was closed as the homeowners told the people of the building code department that they were not housing a person in their shed. The homeowners said they use the shed for religious reunions. Freaking liars!

Did the county take little action because my complaint was done anonymously?

What options do I have to pressure the homeowners to stop housing this homeless man (and his dogs) in their storage shed?

I would appreciate some suggestions. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I reside in Miami-Dade county in the state of Florida. The people next door to me are housing a homeless man in their storage shed which is located in their fenced backyard. The homeless man has two dogs which for the majority of the time are quiet. However, the dogs always bark when the homeless man either leaves or enters the backyard.

Here is where the problem begins. The homeless man sleeps all day in the shed, but comes out a night. He is a night owl who decides to leave and enter the backyard at odd hours in the night. Sometimes past midnight, other times at around 3:00am. This causes the dogs to bark. Unfortunately, our bedroom is located on the side of our house that is close to the fence that separates the properties where the shed is located. The barking dogs always wake us up. This occurs almost every night. Also, the homeless man sometimes yells and makes noises.

I have spoken to the homeowners before. This calms the homeless man and we have peace and quiet. But it usually only lasts days, and then it is back to hearing the noise. Since this showed me that the homeowners were not going to stop housing the homeless man, I decided to seek help with the county.

I placed an anonymous complaint with the county (in Miami-Dade county, it is done by calling 311). They told me it would be an issue handled by the building code department and it would be investigated.

The problems with the homeless man continued. So I called for a follow up to my compliant and the county employee tolds me the case was closed as the homeowners told the people of the building code department that they were not housing a person in their shed. The homeowners said they use the shed for religious reunions. Freaking liars!

Did the county take little action because my complaint was done anonymously?

What options do I have to pressure the homeowners to stop housing this homeless man (and his dogs) in their storage shed?

I would appreciate some suggestions. Thank you in advance.
I'm without speech.

Silverplum

I agree. I have no idea where they can go from here.
I'm astonished at the utter lack of compassion or empathy on the part of the OP.

I'd also like to point out that dogs can begin to bark in any neighborhood, under any circumstances, at any time. (Of course there are limits in most municipalities as to how long they can be left to bark.)

If the OP doesn't like the sounds of neighbors, perhaps he should buy many acres and live right in the center of them.

LdiJ

I'm astonished at the utter lack of compassion or empathy on the part of the OP.

I'd also like to point out that dogs can begin to bark in any neighborhood, under any circumstances, at any time. (Of course there are limits in most municipalities as to how long they can be left to bark.)

If the OP doesn't like the sounds of neighbors, perhaps he should buy many acres and live right in the center of them.
Dogs barking at 3AM is a valid complaint no matter to whom they belong. I am a dog lover but if I had one outside at night and it was barking I wouldn't blame my neighbors for complaining.

Silverplum

Dogs barking at 3AM is a valid complaint no matter to whom they belong. I am a dog lover but if I had one outside at night and it was barking I wouldn't blame my neighbors for complaining.
Right. And so one follows the legal procedure. This is considered a "private nuisance," according to M-D PD: http://www.miamidade.gov/police/prevention-nuisance.asp

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">