• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbors install hardwood floors in upstairs condo; noisy around the clock. Options?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

This is a condo where about 50% own and 50% rent. Both me and my upstairs neighbor are owners, although he was recently foreclosed on. However, in Michigan he gets to remain in the unit for 6 additional months even after the foreclosure.

I'm not exactly sure when the hardwood floors were installed as this unit was empty for some time before I moved in (I owned it, but didn't live in it).

The noise is just them walking around, but it's definitely annoying. Every footstep makes a thud and you can hear their dogs constantly running from one end of the unit to another. I suppose I could tolerate it during the day, but because there are multiple people living in there with odd work schedules, someone is active up there 24 hours a day. It's not at all uncommon for one of them to get home at 3am and bring 2-3 people with him to hang out until 6am.

For beds, they just seems to have squeaky mattresses thrown down directly on the floors, so every time someone starts getting busy up there it sounds like a Tin Man convention. I'm just so sick of not being able to get a decent night's sleep.

According to the HOA, there is no rule about hardwood floors and they say they can't or won't get involved in disputes solely between two residents (the noise had to bother at least two units).

I've thought about calling the cops, but it's not like loud music or anything... it's just them thumping around; you can hear it a little from outside the unit, but not much.

So, the question is: If the HOA won't do anything about the problem, do I have any other options? (Since I own this unit, it's kind of complicated to just move somewhere else).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">