• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbors invasive trees damaging boundry wall

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dandmc

HELP -Neighbors invasive trees damaging boundry wall

What is the name of your state? California

Hello and thanks in advance

I purchased a home in Los Angeles about two years ago that shares a block wall with another property. The owner has rented it out and its more like a boarding house but thats another story. The problem is that there's a 30 foot long section of block wall in the back yard that appears to be on the property line, that is being damaged by trees from planted on his side. He has planted and allows seedlings of Brazililan Pepper trees to grown along our property line. Maybe 30 trees in all. Some big and some small, very ugly and very messy.

Anyway, the roots of some of the more mature ones have uplifted the block walls footer. The trunk of one is pushing and dislodgeing blocks in a few areas. They have also damaged my patio concreate and are in general a nuisance. The wall is now ugly and an eyesore and maybe even unsafe.
Im pretty sure is a shared wall but not shared damage.
I noticed some problems with this wall when I purchased the house but didnt know that the trees were entirely responsible as i know now. Its an old wall but would be acceptable had these trees on his property been managed and not allowed to crack and push and grow unchecked. They are basically problematic root trees that are planted in a bad spot.
I complained about the wall and he said he would only pay 1/2 of a much cheaper wooden fence.
I dont think I should pay anything and wish he would just cut the trees and put the wall back.
Any ideas ?
Am I crazy to think that if he or his propery does damage that he is responsible even if it was pre exisiting to my purchase.
Thanks

Last edited:

dandmc

Can anyone help - No replies to my question

Can someone please help me with this situation.
I dont know what to do.
thanks

dandmc said:

I purchased a home in Los Angeles about two years ago that shares a block wall with another property. The owner has rented it out and its more like a boarding house but thats another story. The problem is that there's a 30 foot long section of block wall in the back yard that appears to be on the property line, that is being damaged by trees from planted on his side. He has planted and allows seedlings of Brazililan Pepper trees to grown along our property line. Maybe 30 trees in all. Some big and some small, very ugly and very messy.

Anyway, the roots of some of the more mature ones have uplifted the block walls footer. The trunk of one is pushing and dislodgeing blocks in a few areas. They have also damaged my patio concreate and are in general a nuisance. The wall is now ugly and an eyesore and maybe even unsafe.
I noticed some problems with this wall when I purchased the house but didnt know that the trees were entirely responsible as i know now. Its an old wall but would be acceptable had these trees on his property been managed and not allowed to crack and push and grow unchecked. They are basically problematic root trees that are planted in a bad spot.
I complained about the wall and he said he would only pay 1/2 of a much cheaper wooden fence.
I dont think I should pay anything and wish he would just cut the trees and put the wall back.
Any ideas ?
Am I crazy to think that if he or his propery does damage that he is responsible even if it was pre exisiting to my purchase.
Thanks

panzertanker

dandmc said:

Any ideas ?
Thanks
Does your survey state the block wall is the property line?
If not, where is the block wall located? (his or your property)

dandmc

HELP -Neighbors invasive trees damaging boundry wall

I hope so...
So far I havent gotten much advice here and Im a bit saddened that this site might not be very effective fro me

Hope to hear something soon

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">