• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbors Kids

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TheMagus84

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
Ever since my neighbors moved in they have been rude and inconsiderate. A lot of what they do I can't do anything about, like parking in my spot in front of my house, playing loud music during the day, kicking their soccer ball against their fence next to my house causing loud banging sounds in my house. They watched while our elderly neighbor, Mary, shoveled her walkway in the winter so she could get to the street then parked in front of that spot so she couldn't use the walkway she just shoveled. It's not a crime to be inconsiderate, though it should be. But some of the things they do I feel like I should be able to do something about. Like shooting their Airsoft guns at the birds and squirrels that go to my feeders. I have Airsoft pellets all over my yard now. When they kick their ball it often hits my house. It hits my house at least 2 times a day when the weather is nice. They even used my car as a barricade during their Airsoft gun war. Hitting my car with the pellets. It didn't leave marks but it's still not right for them to do that. I'v asked them to stop but they just ignore me. One time my fiance threatened to call the police if they hit my house again and the older boy said "It was an accident. They won't do anything." The way I see it if they can't keep their ball under control and not hit my house they shouldn't be allowed to kick it in between our houses. I even suggested they go down to the park that's only 10 houses down the road, it has a field and everything. They won't do it. I want to talk to their parents but there are 6 different adults that live in that house, 3 of which have told me they don't speak English, even though I'v heard them speak English many times. I don't know which ones are the parents because they are never outside with the kids. One of the adults even participated in the Airsoft gun war. He was the one who used my car as a barricade. This went on all last summer and I just dealt with it. Now that its getting warm again, the very first time they played with their soccer ball they hit my house 3 times. Are there any rules or regulations that will keep them from doing this? I'v never done anything spiteful to them. I even told their kids, when they first moved in, that they could get their ball if it bounced into my yard. All I do is tolerate and all they do is take advantage of it. I just don't know what to do anymore. I want to report them for animal abuse for shooting at local cats, with Airsoft guns, but I haven't been able to get proof, like pics or video, yet.

justalayman

so, what has stopped you from calling the police now that the initial threat didn't work?

I would give them notice they are not to trespass onto your property (a requirement in MI law for the entry onto another's property to be considered trespassing). Tell them if their ball enters your property, they are not allowed to retrieve it but must come to your door and ask for it.

If they trespass, call the police. If they shoot birds at your feeder, call the police. Leave the airsoft darts in place so the police can see the evidence.

FarmerJ

Another solution is this If they are renting the house make a very good offer to the landlord and BUY it then plan for non renewal of their lease or do your best to learn what language they are speaking in then learn how to say ` bounce your dang ball somewhere else`

Ben T

Most residential communities do not allow people to fire BB, or pellet guns. Gather up the casings, take video and report to the police.

FarmerJ

!!!! good job Ben!!! living in a rural area up here Im so used to hearing people shoot, target practice , etc that its easy to forget that many so called towns, cities, burbs, have ords against target practice shootings , pellet gun , bb gun etc use so this is a good avenue for OP to follow up on. As well as OHR s suggestion about camera.

Just Blue

What is an "air soft gun"? Is that like a Nerf gun??

Sorry if this is a dumb question...but I never heard of that term.:)

ConfusedCali

I had a similar problem a few years ago. 7 kids left to run amuck while the house full of adults were hardly ever seen. I called the police, I took pictures and video of the kids playing "ninja" on the roof and of a 2 years old wandering naked through my yard. Police would come out, the kids would say their mom was in the shower or sleeping. At least 4 times, the police came out and the kids would scatter like ****roaches and all would be quiet until they left. One of the mothers told the police that I was harassing her kids (I was careful not to engage with any of the kids) and from that point on, they began to vandalize my property while I was at work. They poisoned my dog, I'm sure of it. I finally called Child Protective Services and they visited the house after I showed them the videos, photos and police reports.

The entire group vanished in the middle of the night a few days later. They were renting and had destroyed the house, pulled the shower fixtures from the walls and flooded the house.

I was glad that they left, but no one did anything. I would say that your best bet is to be careful, call the police when needed but maybe you will either have to wait for them to disappear or maybe even look at moving. It's a tough situation, people who are that disrespectful will never be good neighbors.

Ben T

The entire group vanished in the middle of the night a few days later. They were renting and had destroyed the house, pulled the shower fixtures from the walls and flooded the house.

I was glad that they left, but no one did anything. I would say that your best bet is to be careful, call the police when needed but maybe you will either have to wait for them to disappear or maybe even look at moving. It's a tough situation, people who are that disrespectful will never be good neighbors.
The running part is typical. When social services catches up - they leave. And start the process over again with someone else.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">