• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor's kids climbing over fence - liability?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Clocks212

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I just found out our neighbor's 4 and 6 year old children have been climbing over the 6' privacy fence separating our properties and are playing in our backyard.

Am I at all liable if they fall while climbing over the fence? Step on a nail in my backyard (I don't know of any)? Break their ankle running through my grass? Or get bit by my dog (who sometimes spends brief periods in the yard alone when we leave)? Or any other scenario?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I just found out our neighbor's 4 and 6 year old children have been climbing over the 6' privacy fence separating our properties and are playing in our backyard.

Am I at all liable if they fall while climbing over the fence? Step on a nail in my backyard (I don't know of any)? Break their ankle running through my grass? Or get bit by my dog (who sometimes spends brief periods in the yard alone when we leave)? Or any other scenario?
**A: yes, you would need to file a claim with your insurance company.
When are you going to have a talk with their parents?

Banned_Princess

How is a 4 year old climbing over a six foot privacy fence? Even a six year old doing it is hard to believe.

Definately you need to speak to the parent/s.

csi7

How are the two children getting in or out of your property?
We had to put up no trespassing signs on all four sides of our fence, provide key locks on all four gates, and beware of dog signs up on all four sides of our fence. We also had all all the trees trimmed back away from the fence.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Have you talked to the parents?

I would have mailed a letter to the parents that their children are TRESPASSING on your property by climbing over the fence. Send it snail mail AND CR&R. You then have them on notice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">