• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbor's lack of yard maintenance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

williams family

I'm in Holliston, Massachusetts. Our neighbor's property and ours are separated by a jagged-top chainlink fence (belonging to the neighbor). He (our neighbor) has not maintained his yard at all in the 6 years we've lived here. Literally, he mowed his lawn once in 1998 and that was it. It is completely overgrown - small trees are growing in his gutters, and his leach field is completely overgrown. It literally looks like a jungle, and it is growing into our yard through his fence. A lot of the overgrowth is poison ivy and vegetation with unknown berries (which can be poisonous). We've asked him about it in the past and he stated that his lawnmower broke and he therefore can no longer upkeep his yard. We are getting sick of maintaining the fence to keep it all from growing into our yard, and it is a terrible eyesore in the neighborhood. I have to believe that his property is bringing down the value of the rest of our properties in our neighborhood. I should state that he has made it clear that he does not care about the condition of his yard and he is not a very nice person. Do we have any legal recourse to make him clean up his yard?

seniorjudge

Q: Do we have any legal recourse to make him clean up his yard?

A: Yes; build an opaque fence so you cannot see his yard.

Tallrat

Let me add to the uh other fine answer's. Call health dept and report it. Here is the website with all info http://www.townofholliston.us/board_of_health.htm Not all cities have this but in many they will get written with a code violation and ordred to clean it up. If not the city does it and charges an outrageous amount. They at least should fine them and keep fining them until they comply. Hope that helps!

Live and Let Live

I have a similar problem. I love nature and have been very careful not to disturb the natural condition in my yard. I have lovely native plants; some would call weeds that grow almost high enough to hide the neighbor’s yards. The problem is the neighbors keep mowing, cutting the native plants down, and applying all kinds of chemicals (which can be poisonous) to their yards.

Point is not everyone likes a yard the way you do, so unless there is some law or HOA reg or something you may just have to live with it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">