• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor's Landscaper damages my yard and hedges (Westchester, NY)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

uwbadbadger1985

Westchester, NY

Hi, I hope some one can help me out with some advice and information.

My neighbor had his landscaper, an apparent jack of all trades but a master of none, cut down a very large tree that was just on the other side of my property line. In the process of taking this tree down, huge branches crashed in to my yard creating large holes and indentations (potentially damaging both my septic field and also loosening a retaining wall). In addition about 25 feet of 10 foot high hedge row on my property (which served as both my "fence" and privacy screen) was crushed and destroyed.

My questions are what are my rights in terms of compensation (filling in the holes in my yard, replacing the hedges, undetected damage to the septic field, and stress on the retaining wall), if any? I have asked the landscaper to remedy the problems, but he refuses. The neighbor insists that it is the landscapers responsibility.

FarmerJ

A arborist may be able to assist you determining the value of the damage to your hedge. Its hard to say if having your septic system inspected will reveal anything , In your area If city water and sewer are avail and there is a ord defining condtions where one must hook up then maybe you want to find a septic /sewer line inspection service that can use camera technology to give you a better opinion. Other wise if there is no public water /sewer or plans for it to be serving your area for many years then and your system is already older maybe you should not bother. As far as your neighbor goes If you sue them then they likely will have to sue the service so this is one you might want to speak to a atty about. Using the links above arrange for a consultation and atleast learn what would be involved with civil suit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">