• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor's Loud Air Conditioner

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Justice202

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
I currently live in a multiple dwelling building which are owned by shareholders. Behind the building there is a private house that has six large air conditioners on the neighbor’s back yard. One of the six air conditioners is defective. The air conditioner turns on and off throughout the day and night. It mostly affects people at night when sleeping. The air conditioner is so loud that it disturbs everyone facing it from the 2nd floor to the 7th floor. I had made a complaint to 311 multiple times. They forward my complaint to the EPA. I've recently had the EPA measure the dB of the air conditioner from my home in which it came out with a quiet reading of 49 db and a 52 when the air conditioner went on. According to the EPA website anything over 40 dB for an air conditioner is over the limit. The EPA has informed me that nothing can be done because the air conditioner is on private property and not on commercial property. They told me that they can't really do anything about the noise.

I went a step forward and have started a petition in our building in which I received as of now, 18 apartment complaints. If there is on the average of 2 people living in each apartment, this will mean I have around 36 unhappy shareholders.

What can I do? Will this be costly or should I just try taking this to a local government official. Should I go to the press? Please advise.

LillianX

50db is about the same as a conversation held at a normal voice. It's about the same as the noise of a running refrigerator. It's at the LOW end for an air conditioner. They often run up to 75db.

You're welcome to do all of the things you've suggested, however I would be surprised if you got very far. The media definitely doesn't care about an air conditioner. If enough of your neighbors do, maybe you can convince the condo board to take action, however it does not appear as though they are under any legal obligation to do so.

154NH773

I suggest you all get together and buy the neighbor a new air conditioner.
I agree; either that or discuss with the neighbor how you all might pay for a sound proofing enclosure.

Country Living

I have friends who had a similar problem. Their solution was to replace their windows with high-end energy efficient / soundproofing ones.

Justice202

I don't hear the air conditioner when my windows are closed. Only when i keep my windows open to sleep through the night with fresh air. It's kind of hard to believe that sound is not loud enough to do anything. People can hear it from the 7th floor.

randomguy

I read your post twice to make sure i didn't misunderstood you. The house you are talking about is not part of the association and is private house that have connection to your association is that correct? So what do you think your petition would accomplish? EPA says nothing can be done about it, do you really think the local government going to care about you hearing ac when your windows are open?

Justice202

The issue is that the EPA is stating one set of figures on their website as far how loud an AC is. Then they are giving me another figure once they came to my house. The EPA is not being consistent with what they are disclosing. Yes, I agree the local government doesn't care.

Why wouldn't the press swallow this up as the EPA is showing signs of not being consistent to the people? This is my angle.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The issue is that the EPA is stating one set of figures on their website as far how loud an AC is. Then they are giving me another figure once they came to my house. The EPA is not being consistent with what they are disclosing. Yes, I agree the local government doesn't care.

Why wouldn't the press swallow this up as the EPA is showing signs of not being consistent to the people? This is my angle.
What an obtuse angle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">