• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbors Loud bass problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Echo2

What is the name of your state? OK

I have a neighbor thats renting a house behind mine, he plays his stereo bass so loud that on the weekends its drives me up a wall, i have tried to ask him to keep it down but no matter what the next day or next weekend he turns it back up.
His landlord has said he would talk to him but same thing happens, i don't hear it for one weekend then after that every weekend i hear it.
This person is a single parent with three kids under the age of ten, you would think a parent would care about their kids hearing and not play music so loud you can't even hear yourself talk in the same room.

Our city ordinances says this, so i don't know what can be done if anything to have a peace again in my own house.

(a) It shall be unlawful and a class B offense for any person at any time to willfully or maliciously disturb the public peace or quietude by creating any noise of such character or duration so as to be loud and unnecessary to a person of ordinary sensibilities. Such noises shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
(1) The sounding of a horn or a similar signal device on any vehicle, except as a danger signal;
(2) The playing of any television, radio, phonograph, tape recorder, CD player or any musical instrument in any manner or at such volume, that annoys or disturbs the peace and quiet of any person within another dwelling;
(3) Allowing any animal within the person's custody or control to habitually bark, howl, yelp, roar or make similar noises;
(4) Discharging the exhaust of any internal combustion engine or motor vehicle, except through a muffler or other device which will effectively prevent loud or explosive noises;
(5) For purposes of this section, the creation of any of the above noises between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. Sunday through Thursday and the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. Friday and Saturday in such a manner as to be plainly audible at a distance of 50 feet from the exterior of the building, structure or vehicle within which the sound originates shall be prima facie evidence of a violation of this section. However, the fact that the above noises were created between 7:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. Friday and Saturday is not a defense to prosecution under this section.

Caveman

I HATE LOUD FISH especially Bass.

Start playing loud musicals Oklahoma Or even CATS! then he might get the jist.

Caveman

I WAITED AND WAITED AND YOU NEVER SHOWED UP....YOU KNOW....YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO MEET ME FOR COFFEE AT STARBUCKS IN KENMORE SQUARE....:( :p

Ouch woman, need you shout? I was there! Yiou know there are 14 Starbucks on that corner. I coulld have messed up by not knowing Which one..

Give a caveman a break. Please?

Just Blue

Ouch woman, need you shout? I was there! Yiou know there are 14 Starbucks on that corner. I coulld have messed up by not knowing Which one..

Give a caveman a break. Please?
No...there is only one SB's in Kenmore....You must have gone to McGully's in Southie....

Caveman

No...there is only one SB's in Kenmore....You must have gone to McGully's in Southie....
You are most likely right, but right now I have " We WILL We Will ROCK YOU! coming out of my hairy ears and I have to call my county code peeps. I hope they are in the book.

Caffe au latte late Bay babe.

lizjimbo

Back to the original thread

Your only option is to call the cops and register a complaint. One visit by the cops to the neighbors will usually quiet things down. Eventually they will make an arrest for the violation of the noise ordinance. It would be great if you could get the cops to come over at the time the music is blasting. Loud music isn't music, it is noise. Obviously your neighbor doesn't intend on respecting your rights, so call the cops.

Echo2

Your only option is to call the cops and register a complaint. One visit by the cops to the neighbors will usually quiet things down. Eventually they will make an arrest for the violation of the noise ordinance. It would be great if you could get the cops to come over at the time the music is blasting. Loud music isn't music, it is noise. Obviously your neighbor doesn't intend on respecting your rights, so call the cops.
I have called the police on him number of times but they can only ask him to turn it down unless i want to sign a citation, if he contest it then i have to go to court over it.
The only thing i worry about is if he gets the police to issue one if my dog barks once.
My dog doesn't bark much at all, only when someone walks by that he doesn't know after that hes quiet.
I just don't want it to turn into a battle who has more money to pay the tickets.

If only the law made landlords responsible when their tenants break a city ordinances, then we would have a lot less issues with people who don't care that their stereo bass is annoying others.

lizjimbo

Dogs will be Dogs

Unless the dog is a nuisance to more than one person you are not likely in any trouble. Just have another neighbor say that your dog doesn't bother them. Dogs are allowed some latitude in being dogs, that is, barking. If you want the boom box bumb to pipe down you may have to sign a citation. Otherwise you have to tolerate it and there is nothing you can lawfully do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">