• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor's mess is not a right of easement -- is it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gurfy

Hello,

My family and I live in a rental home in Madison, Tennessee.

About three weeks ago, the owner (not the resident) of an adjacent property began digging up the sewer line in our front yard, in order to make repairs. He did this without notifying us, claiming right of easement. That's fine: I don't want the neighbors to have sewer trouble.

But he left the job unfinished. There is sewage and debris in my front yard for three weeks now. Enough is enough!

Questions:
1. How long can he leave a mess?
2. Does "right of easement" mean that he doesn't have to finish?
3. Who has to pay for the clean-up?
4. I'm hoping to be a good neighbor and not get into a fight. What are the less confrontational steps to take before suing him?

Thank you!

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TENNESSEEWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FarmerJ

send to your LL a certified letter stating that the nieghbor has damaged the LLs property making repairs to a sewer line that he said connected his property to sewer thru the property you rent and you are notifying the LL of this damage , take pics of it and give to the LL the address of the property next door that did this , tell your LL you have taken pics of the damage for your records. ( what your doing is telling LL you are taking steps to notify them , they might already know of it , if they dont they can go after the other nbr to get them to repair the damage and your taking pics of it and keeping copy of the certified letter helps protect your self from LL unfairly charging you for damage to the yard if nieghbor does a lousy job restoring it)

154NH773

If your landlord fails to take any action, you might remind him that you are paying rent for the entire yard as it existed at the time of signing your lease, and if he doesn't restore it (or have it restored) you could withhold rent or sue him for restitution. I know that might sound extreme, and I probably wouldn't get on the bad side of your landlord unless you really can't live with the situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">