• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor's motorcycle revving

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TomInNC

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

For some reason, when the neighbor across the street moves his motorcycle onto his porch, he has a tendency to sit and idle the engine and then tac it up very loudly several times before shutting down. Sometimes he then starts it up again for one or more very loud revs. He does this at around 8pm which is when my 2yr old daughter is trying to get to sleep. I've asked him to stop and explained why, but he (very arrogantly) tells me he doesn't have to be quiet until 10pm. I've looked up our county and city ordinances, and from what I can tell I have the right to complain except for one part of the exemptions which states:
"Sounds emanating from a motor vehicle, or lawnmower or agricultural equipment operated between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. when the vehicle or equipment is properly equipped with the manufacturer's or other authorized standard mufflers and sound reduction equipment and in use under proper operating conditions"
For all I know it's in tune and has the proper muffler, but I don't think wheeling the bike onto your porch and revving it constitutes "normal" operation. I don't have access to a decibel meter, but the sound is loud enough to wake my daughter and would wake me if I was trying to sleep. I've read similar posts from the perspective of people on the opposite side of the argument and a lot of them state that when the police come to talk to them they are told they are not breaking the law. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I want the noise to stop (at least after 8pm), but if calling the police is just going to aggravate the neighbor what else can I do? Further negotiations are unlikely given the neighbor's attitude.

Banned_Princess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

For some reason, when the neighbor across the street moves his motorcycle onto his porch, he has a tendency to sit and idle the engine and then tac it up very loudly several times before shutting down. Sometimes he then starts it up again for one or more very loud revs. He does this at around 8pm which is when my 2yr old daughter is trying to get to sleep. I've asked him to stop and explained why, but he (very arrogantly) tells me he doesn't have to be quiet until 10pm. I've looked up our county and city ordinances, and from what I can tell I have the right to complain except for one part of the exemptions which states:
"Sounds emanating from a motor vehicle, or lawnmower or agricultural equipment operated between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. when the vehicle or equipment is properly equipped with the manufacturer's or other authorized standard mufflers and sound reduction equipment and in use under proper operating conditions"
For all I know it's in tune and has the proper muffler, but I don't think wheeling the bike onto your porch and revving it constitutes "normal" operation. I don't have access to a decibel meter, but the sound is loud enough to wake my daughter and would wake me if I was trying to sleep. I've read similar posts from the perspective of people on the opposite side of the argument and a lot of them state that when the police come to talk to them they are told they are not breaking the law. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I want the noise to stop (at least after 8pm), but if calling the police is just going to aggravate the neighbor what else can I do? Further negotiations are unlikely given the neighbor's attitude.

well if you feel like the cops are no help, and talking to him wont work, then theres nothing else to do but move.

winter for you should come in the next few months, hopefully he will put the bike away for the season.

ps, putting your bike on the porch is common. it helps deter theft or vandalism.

TomInNC

So because my neighbor is arrogant and inconsiderate I have to suffer the time and expense of finding a new home out of earshot of him and his motorcycle? That hardly seems fair, and it certainly isn't reasonable. And since I have already confronted him about it, I suspect he'll make a point of doing it as often as possible so waiting for winter isn't really going to help either.

HomeGuru

So because my neighbor is arrogant and inconsiderate I have to suffer the time and expense of finding a new home out of earshot of him and his motorcycle? That hardly seems fair, and it certainly isn't reasonable. And since I have already confronted him about it, I suspect he'll make a point of doing it as often as possible so waiting for winter isn't really going to help either.
**A: call the cops and keep calling them until they tell you there is no law being broken. Also talk to your local health department.

Sheriff10

Fair? Fair is where pigs win ribbons. Other than that, no such thing as fair.

asiny

It's not called the Fair system, but the Legal system. It's not called the FreeAdvice Fair Forum, it's called the FreeAdvice... well you get the point.

You are asking for what legal position do you have- the answer is, you have none. It may not feel fair, it may not feel right, but until he is breaking the law your options are limited to moving or calling the police (aggravating the neighbour) until they tell you there is nothing they can do.

p.s. + 1 for this comment that made me laugh;
Fair? Fair is where pigs win ribbons. Other than that, no such thing as fair.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">