• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbors need to go!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

myngos211

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma, in Tulsa city limits.

I'll try to keep this as short as possible...

Problem: noisy neighbors and their cars
Occurence: almost daily, for up to 2 hours
Other information: east side wall of my home sits less than 5 feet from their driveway, their home is about 20-25 feet away and they do their noisy activity about 10-20 feet from the closest wall.

What prompted me to do research? Today him and another guy decides to use their gravel driveway to peel out, striking the side of my home (no damage) and use our dead end street to test their engines performace...if that's what they call it. All it really is, is a V8 with dual mufflers that are too darn loud. My house sits less than 5 feet away from their driveway. This has been going on for about a month now, they are new tenants of about 4 or 5 months.

What is the best route of action to take? I will be calling the landlord who was my previous neighbor until they moved out and then rented out the small unit by the main house. Other things I could use: fact of trash buried by the landlord in his backyard. Lack of yard attention for the whole summer. House he rented out way too small for a guy and his wife and 2 small children. Their house can't be more than 600 square feet.

What can I do?? Somebody please help out an old guy...
many thanks!

Oh, below is something I cutted and pasted together from Tulsa County City Ordinances or something along those lines. Defines public nuisance, penalties and stuff but I'm not too savvy on this stuff... :confused:

SECTION 103. NUISANCES AFFECTING PEACE AND SAFETY

The following are hereby declared to be public nuisances affecting public peace and safety:

F. All loud or unusual noises and annoying vibrations which offend the peace
and quiet of persons of ordinary sensibilities;

SECTION 105. REPORTING REQUIREMENT

Any person, firm, corporation, partnership or other legal entity who commits or
who permits the creation or continuation of a nuisance as above defined which poses a potential emergency threat to the public health or the environment shall immediately report the incident to the Director of the Tulsa City-County Health Department and shall provide any information requested by the Director needed to investigate or abate the potential emergency.
Ord. No. 17942

SECTION 106. PENALTY

Any person, firm or corporation, partnership or other legal entity who anywhere within the City of Tulsa commits any nuisance, either as principal or accessory, or who knowingly permits the creation or continuation of any nuisance on any property owned or occupied by himself as the same has been defined in this chapter shall be guilty of an offense and upon conviction thereof shall be punished by a fine of not more than FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($500.00), excluding costs, and/or imprisonment in the City Jail for not more than ninety (90) days. Each day of such violation shall constitute a separate
offense.
Ord. No. 17942

SECTION 201. ABATEMENT

Unless a different procedure is provided in this title, in all cases of nuisances the enforcement official, acting at his discretion or upon order of the Mayor or the Board of Health, shall cause a written notice to be served upon the person or entity who maintains, operates or permits a nuisance.

At least ten (10) days’ notice shall be given to the owner of the property and
mortgage holder by mail at the address shown by the current year's tax rolls in the county treasurer office before the enforcement official takes any action to abate the nuisance. The notice shall order the property owner to abate the nuisance and shall further state that unless such abatement is performed within ten (10) days of the date of the notice, the work shall be done by the City of Tulsa and a notice of lien shall be filed with the county clerk against the property for the costs due and owing the City of Tulsa. At the time of mailing of the notice to the property owner and mortgage holder, the City shall obtain a receipt of mailing from the postal service, which receipt shall indicate the date of mailing and the name and address of the mailee. As used in this title, "owner" shall mean the owner as shown by the most current tax rolls of the county treasurer. "Mortgage holder" shall mean
the holder of a mortgage as reflected in the office of the county clerk. If such person or entity cannot be found, then a copy of the notice may be served by posting a copy in some conspicuous place on the premises described in the notice at least ten (10) days prior to any abatement action by the enforcement official of the City of Tulsa.

The enforcement official is authorized to abate the nuisance after expiration of the ten (10) day period unless an appeal has been filed as provided for herein.
Ord. Nos. 17942, 18205

M

myngos211

BelizeBreeze said:
Call the police.
As much as I wish it was that easy, their response is always "there's nothing we can do if their not doing it now". These same people use to live on the other side of me but further off and used to pull the same thing and I did call and they never did anything. I could always hear them "working" on their car(s) and eventually, they were moving out 5 months later...only to rent this home out right next door! I'll be making those calls to the police, city and the landlord in the morning as it wasn't a non-emergency call.

Any other advice from someone?

FarmerJ

make a offer to buy the rental place next door only if they are month to month renters , if you succeed to buy it ,then because the tenant knows they live next to the LL they will either shape up and stop the noise or you would gain the option of evicting them your self .and replacing them with some one who really will be quieter when you inform them you evicted the last tenants because they made too much noise .

M

myngos211

Thanks for the advice everyone...

Many thanks on helping a guy out. I called the landlord (who was my good neighbor for 7 years) and he came within 15 minutes. I couldn't believe it, must have caught him while he was in town. I told him what they were doing and he said that in their contract, unacceptable noise was not acceptable and he made that quite clear with them. Let's just see how long this lasts. I also called the police and got some good advice. They said to try talking to the guys, but explained that didn't work. He then said, when they disturb the peace, call them asap, they will send an officer out to inform them of the complaint and to stop. And if they don't, call again and they'll take it from there (whatever that means). I was just glad that I didn't run into a brickwall trying to combat these people without putting my property at risk. I've lived here 8 years and in 2 more, it's paid for and will become a landlord myself. Maybe these fellas will grow up now that they got lectured by their landlord...how demeaning and how sad that it has to be that way. I'm all for living a free life but when it hinders the enjoyment of others, is rather an immature and selfish way of doing it. God bless, thanks for your help! Hope your Thanksgiving holiday was as good as mine.

Myngos211

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">