• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbors need a new hobby

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Hampshire

Not sure where to start or if this is the right forum to be honest but here goes. I live in an HOA where no one is in charge. We have had no meetings in 3 years not even to discuss who is going to be handling the plowing of the street.

My neighbors purchased the property 2 years ago and when they first moved in they were civil. However, they have a guest that insists on parking her car in a manner that blocks my driveway. I have requested politely numerous times that she not do this. The guest and the woman residing there come out screaming each time I ask them to move so I can get out of my driveway. Its a dead end street, my driveway is the last one with 15 feet of road extending past the driveway. I have told them it is OK to park all the way down as it doesn't impede my ability to enter and exit my property.

This past winter she continued to do it and given the 15 feet of road was full of snow, and the road was shortened by 3 feet due to snow banks it made things more difficult. I ended up requesting a police officer ask her to move her vehicle. They did, and explained to her why, she then did the exact same thing the next evening. We knocked on the door to request she move, she started screaming and throwing a fit. When she took to threatening to assault someone I called 911 where the dispatcher heard her.

Since then its been insane. No one wants to help try to resolve the issue peacefully. I was told by one neighbor that he was "ordered not to talk to me". By whom I do not know and why? well I don't know that either. So far the following has occurred:

My friend was loaning us their truck so we could remove things from my shed. Lights were off in my home, so my friend thought we were in bed and since we had a spare key he parked the truck and walked to his house. The police were called by the neighbors. No contact was made by the police officer to anyone in my residence. This incident was reported to the mortgage company.

My boyfriends mother moved from another state and the Uhaul truck was parked in my driveway over night one night, she stayed overnight for about a week while the utitilies were turned on at her place. The neighbor next door called the police to report "too many people living in the household" and that "cars were coming in and out all that day and night". This was reported to the mortgage company.

My neighbor across the street was having a birthday party on the same day we were. Parking is limited and so we squished everyone in to avoid blocking driveways, hydrants and mailboxes. She opened the door with force and began screaming at us when we didn't move a vehicle, that her boyfriend/spouse said we did not need to move. He said it was not in the way. She screamed several obscenities with 11 children at this party. This woman and her sister, mother proceeded to yell obscenities at us all evening. Police came no one was arrested but their entire household was extremely intoxicated at 5:30PM.

The neighbor across the street has a roommate who has an alcohol problem. He is constantly drinking, playing loud obscenity laden music, falling down while walking down the street. His pants are never covering his butt.

The neighbor ordered not to speak with me has been acting president of the HOA to the best of my knowledge. I tried calling him to assist with the parking issue before it got out of control. He stated he didn't want to be involved. I tried speaking with the mortgage company who still owns one of the 4 lots here, they "couldn't do anything about the neighbors being a$$holes". When my friend parked in such a way she was not blocking any ones driveway not even mine, the acting president did not hesitate to call me and tell me to "move the f*****g car".

They have screamed at my boyfriend who has requested they calm down that "he doesn't own the place" funny its the neighbors mother and sister yelling these things at him and they don't live or own the place here either.

The mortgage company contacted me to threaten foreclosure if the police keep coming up here. Funny they aren't being called to my residence and the only police reports that I have been provided are the calls over the neighbors complaining over frivolous things.

If my children are playing at 6PM outside the neighbor next door complains. She expects complete quiet at all times.

There are probably more calls that I am not aware of and its getting ridiculous. I have thought about getting game cameras and installing them to monitor my property but we are so close together it may catch theirs and I am concerned about this. I want to be able to enjoy my yard without having names screamed at me but I am afraid to contact the police due to the threats from the mortgage company. I feel trapped. Help.

How do I protect myself, my children and my rights until I can move out of here?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Hampshire

Not sure where to start or if this is the right forum to be honest but here goes. I live in an HOA where no one is in charge. We have had no meetings in 3 years not even to discuss who is going to be handling the plowing of the street.

My neighbors purchased the property 2 years ago and when they first moved in they were civil. However, they have a guest that insists on parking her car in a manner that blocks my driveway. I have requested politely numerous times that she not do this. The guest and the woman residing there come out screaming each time I ask them to move so I can get out of my driveway. Its a dead end street, my driveway is the last one with 15 feet of road extending past the driveway. I have told them it is OK to park all the way down as it doesn't impede my ability to enter and exit my property.

This past winter she continued to do it and given the 15 feet of road was full of snow, and the road was shortened by 3 feet due to snow banks it made things more difficult. I ended up requesting a police officer ask her to move her vehicle. They did, and explained to her why, she then did the exact same thing the next evening. We knocked on the door to request she move, she started screaming and throwing a fit. When she took to threatening to assault someone I called 911 where the dispatcher heard her.

Since then its been insane. No one wants to help try to resolve the issue peacefully. I was told by one neighbor that he was "ordered not to talk to me". By whom I do not know and why? well I don't know that either. So far the following has occurred:

My friend was loaning us their truck so we could remove things from my shed. Lights were off in my home, so my friend thought we were in bed and since we had a spare key he parked the truck and walked to his house. The police were called by the neighbors. No contact was made by the police officer to anyone in my residence. This incident was reported to the mortgage company.

My boyfriends mother moved from another state and the Uhaul truck was parked in my driveway over night one night, she stayed overnight for about a week while the utitilies were turned on at her place. The neighbor next door called the police to report "too many people living in the household" and that "cars were coming in and out all that day and night". This was reported to the mortgage company.

My neighbor across the street was having a birthday party on the same day we were. Parking is limited and so we squished everyone in to avoid blocking driveways, hydrants and mailboxes. She opened the door with force and began screaming at us when we didn't move a vehicle, that her boyfriend/spouse said we did not need to move. He said it was not in the way. She screamed several obscenities with 11 children at this party. This woman and her sister, mother proceeded to yell obscenities at us all evening. Police came no one was arrested but their entire household was extremely intoxicated at 5:30PM.

The neighbor across the street has a roommate who has an alcohol problem. He is constantly drinking, playing loud obscenity laden music, falling down while walking down the street. His pants are never covering his butt.

The neighbor ordered not to speak with me has been acting president of the HOA to the best of my knowledge. I tried calling him to assist with the parking issue before it got out of control. He stated he didn't want to be involved. I tried speaking with the mortgage company who still owns one of the 4 lots here, they "couldn't do anything about the neighbors being a$$holes". When my friend parked in such a way she was not blocking any ones driveway not even mine, the acting president did not hesitate to call me and tell me to "move the f*****g car".

They have screamed at my boyfriend who has requested they calm down that "he doesn't own the place" funny its the neighbors mother and sister yelling these things at him and they don't live or own the place here either.

The mortgage company contacted me to threaten foreclosure if the police keep coming up here. Funny they aren't being called to my residence and the only police reports that I have been provided are the calls over the neighbors complaining over frivolous things.

If my children are playing at 6PM outside the neighbor next door complains. She expects complete quiet at all times.

There are probably more calls that I am not aware of and its getting ridiculous. I have thought about getting game cameras and installing them to monitor my property but we are so close together it may catch theirs and I am concerned about this. I want to be able to enjoy my yard without having names screamed at me but I am afraid to contact the police due to the threats from the mortgage company. I feel trapped. Help.

How do I protect myself, my children and my rights until I can move out of here?
I would consult with a local Attorney to determine your options. I would also move from this horrid situation.

Good luck to you.
Blue

FlyingRon

You need professional help. A lawyer at least, a real estate agent, and a psychiatrist. You're not going to get any legal help to fix your neighbor's alcoholism nor his failure to keep his pants worn as you like. Reporting people who are not residents wandering around with a u-haul truck is called good neighborhood vigilance. The police investigating it is called good police work. Unless the HOA owns the street they are right not to get involved.

TigerD

... but I am afraid to contact the police due to the threats from the mortgage company.
I want to know more about this.
What bank or lender is your mortgage through?
Is it a standard Fannie Mae mortgage?
Where in the mortgage does it grant the right to foreclose for excessive police contacts? -- Would you please post that exact clause?

As for the neighbors - make peace or build fences.

DC

I want to know more about this.
What bank or lender is your mortgage through?
Is it a standard Fannie Mae mortgage?
Where in the mortgage does it grant the right to foreclose for excessive police contacts? -- Would you please post that exact clause?

As for the neighbors - make peace or build fences.

DC
I prefer not to say who the mortgage is through.

It does not say anything about it. Since the mortgage company still owns one of the 4 lots they do claim they have a say in the HOA. Peace with the neighbors? That's funny. I have NEVER had a problem with them until I requested my driveway not be blocked by guests. Who knew that was unreasonable.

Hopefully one of the attorneys I have reached out to will contact me back. Trying to move, these people are crazy. Seriously. Crazy.

There is no clause about police contacts, number of people living in home, etc. etc. etc. I did check the police reports. I was laughing at the silly things they were called over. My kids were playing outside at 6:00PM. Yeah and?

Last edited:
You need professional help. A lawyer at least, a real estate agent, and a psychiatrist. You're not going to get any legal help to fix your neighbor's alcoholism nor his failure to keep his pants worn as you like. Reporting people who are not residents wandering around with a u-haul truck is called good neighborhood vigilance. The police investigating it is called good police work. Unless the HOA owns the street they are right not to get involved.
Considering I own the house and was driving the Uhaul......I would think its called being nosey. They told the neighbor they cannot dictate the number of people who live here or dont. The houses are extremely close. I should not have to deal with indecent exposure because his a$$ is hanging out as he is walking down the street. I don't care if he wants to drink himself to death thats his right. T

FarmerJ

You wrote > This was reported to the mortgage company.< as far as your lender goes then I guess your stance with them should be ` take me to court` as far as the neighbor and bad behaviour keep calling the police and this so called acting board pres all I can say is learn the details of the so called bylaws and rules and run for board your self. ( in time being if you want to have some fun with them all make long flowing robe from purple or red or black bed sheet you buy at the second hand store and go outside in it with your magic scepter filled with tap water and utter something latin sounding as you shake the scepter at them as if you are scattering holy water at them , maybe they will think your insane .)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">