• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbors - Outside Lighting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tinkertoy86440

What is the name of your state Arizona? I am actually inquiring for a patron in a library. Live in rural area, approximately 1.5 acre lots. Neighbors has outdoor light, incandescent (huge spotlight), shining on the south side of her two-story home (side). Neighbor leaves light on all night, patron had to put a large tarp to allow them to walk out side door without being blinded. Apparently the neighbors both have a type of harrassment order on each other. This order doesn't cover this light. The light doesn't light up neighbor's front or back of property - where you think it might go. There are other issues going on, not mentioned here. The neighbor "knows" they can't do anything about it, or least that is the impression he is giving. The neighbor has also blocked up water gullies (for rain, etc.) with various items (dirt, rocks) and has blamed it on the patron. They contact law enforcement, and others who say it is a civil matter, but cannot get anyone to do anything. They cannot move, they are upside down on their mortgage, and cannot afford to move. So, any other alternatives? I suggested a digital security camera to allow some proof of neighbor's son (who is a predator - not sure) is looking into their home's windows, which includes a bathroom on second floor.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I suggest that the person this involves hire an attorney...or consider moving.

xylene

I think you are too involved in someone else's problems and should detach yourself from this situation.

csi7

It really depends on how the light is aimed as to what method will work the best. In our case, the spotlight was on the ground aimed at our front windows and blinded us entering and exiting the main entrance front door.
We put up black-out shades in the windows so we could sleep at night without the light shining in our front windows.
We measured a solid plywood board, put it up on stakes, painted it gray instead of shiny mirror material, put it at the edge of the property marked on our side. The neighbors kept shining the light around the board, however, it was NOT shining in our windows, nor did it blind us when we were entering or exiting the door. Took an additional two years before they stopped shining the light in our direction.
Often, taking time-dated pictures and having the whole situation reviewed by someone not near the actual situation can resolve the issue.
A spotlight that is high up in the air can be spray painted to stop the light from blinding people off the property. However, this must be done by the homeowner and not the neighbor.

justalayman

I suggested a digital security camera to allow some proof of neighbor's son (who is a predator - not sure) is looking into their home's windows, which includes a bathroom on second floor.
looking into a second floor window? Who is this kid? spiderman?

If the kid is looking into the window from the ground and sees something, the folks in the bathroom may be subject to a criminal charge of indecent exposure. You aren't allowed to waggle your stuff in front of a window and get away with it.

and as to being blinded by the light, speak to Manfred Mann or Bruce Springsteen about that. I remember them speaking about such an issue once upon a time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">