• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbor's parking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

greatscotts

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I own a corner lot, with the north side on a one-lane road. When I bought the house 5 years ago, the neighbor on the other side was parking his vehicles as well as all of his visitors' vehicles on my side of the road. I politely asked him not to park there as I was planning to plant grass and making the edge of the property presentable. He agreed and found other arrangements to park in another neighbor's yard. That person has since sold his property and my neighbor is once again parking on my side of the one-lane road. This is starting to wear a path into my yard, killing the grass in the process. When I confronted him about this and asked him to please respect my yard and park on his own side of the road, he basically told me that his yard is too nice to park on and mine is "nothing but weeds" so it shouldn't matter if he parks on it. He parks there from sunrise to sunset, making activities such as mowing and watering a hassle for me.

What should I do? Is this worth standing in line at the township hall to complain about or is there nothing I can do about it?

justalayman

first, be absolutely sure the neighbor is parking outside of any allowances due to an easement or such. If you do not have a survey of your property, it would be a good idea to get one now as you cannot prove where your property lines are without one.

Then, while a verbal notice to not trespass is enough to invoke the trespass laws in Michigan, a sign is a much more obvious proof of the notice to not trespass. So, I would post signs "do not trespass" along the property line. If the neighbor does trespass, call the police and file a complaint.

You could also sue the guy for damages to your property in a civil court if you do not want to go the criminal charges route.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I own a corner lot, with the north side on a one-lane road. When I bought the house 5 years ago, the neighbor on the other side was parking his vehicles as well as all of his visitors' vehicles on my side of the road. I politely asked him not to park there as I was planning to plant grass and making the edge of the property presentable. He agreed and found other arrangements to park in another neighbor's yard. That person has since sold his property and my neighbor is once again parking on my side of the one-lane road. This is starting to wear a path into my yard, killing the grass in the process. When I confronted him about this and asked him to please respect my yard and park on his own side of the road, he basically told me that his yard is too nice to park on and mine is "nothing but weeds" so it shouldn't matter if he parks on it. He parks there from sunrise to sunset, making activities such as mowing and watering a hassle for me.

What should I do? Is this worth standing in line at the township hall to complain about or is there nothing I can do about it?
**A: do you have a recent survey map to review to make sure that your neighbor is actually parking on your property? If confirmed, call the police.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">