• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbors parking between our houses and on my property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

whistler55

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
I live in a small 3-stree suburban neighborhood outside of city limits. The houses are all about 20 feet apart. Just like me, they have a 2-car garage and a driveway ample enough for 4 cars to park. The neighbors sister and teenage nephew recently came to live with them. Thus, they now have 4 big pickups, 2 flatbed trailers and a golf cart parked in the front. They park in the front, over onto the other neighbors yard and have now begun parking their trailers and/or whatever vehicle is not running in the narrow space between our houses. As they have landscaping at the corner of their house, they have to drive onto my property in order to park their vehicles there. Once there, their vehicle still overlaps my property 1-3 ft.

If this were a temporary situation (funeral, birthday party, special family gathering), I would understand. But this young couple have frequent parties so every day would be a temporary situation. I cannot mow there with the trailers parked there. Bottom line, they are trespassing and did not even have the decency to ask first - but that is like them. I have taken pictures. What are my options?

strongbus

1st i would send them a crr letter stating that they don't have your ok to driver or to park on your property. Then post no trespassing signs on your land.

2nd. I would call your local police and who every is in charge of property code issues for where you live and see what you can do. You can check to see if you can call the cops and have them have the neighbors remove the cars each time or what the laws are on you having the cars/trucks/etc towed.

3rd. If this don't work I would build a fence as close as you can so that they can't driver or park on you land.

divona2000

...The houses are all about 20 feet apart...they have to drive onto my property in order to park their vehicles...they are trespassing...What are my options?
Be sure of where the property line actually is; do you have a copy of your survey?
Rocks. Great big landscaping boulders placed within your line. Cuts down on the lawn mowing time too.

nextwife

Some decorative metal posts, sunk in concrete, just inside your verified lot line, with a trellis suspended between. Tell them you plan to plant there or hang yard art there. .

csi7

Yes. Get a survey done with the permanent cement markers, and then put up a fence, trellis, or whatever landscape barrier works for you to prevent them driving on the property in dispute. The right fence makes the best neighbors.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">