• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbors pets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LONDONDERRY

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NH

So we have this neighbor that has chickens even though the town does not warrent them unless the property is 2 acers or more, which its not.

For the past 2-1/2 years these chickens have been in our backyard and a few times have made their way into our house because we had the garage doors open. On time, at 2:30am one flew up and land on our window a/c unit and kept us up. We mentioned this to our next door neighbor and they though it was funny. We have a 4 year old and a 1 year old and we've had to throw out toys and empty the sand box because of chicken droppings. Next, we saw rats running around in our backyard. But the last straw was we had to take my 1 year old to the doctor because he put a chicken dropping in his mouth and had to be on antibiotics. Basically we've had enough and feel we have been nice enough and have mentioned to the neighbors about them being in our yard many times, but it seems to fall upon silent ears. I've thought about call the town board of health, but I know if I do the neighbors will know its us and fear they will seek revenge some how. Any advice?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

So we have this neighbor that has chickens even though the town does not warent them unless the property is 2 acers or more, which its not.

For the past 2-1/2 yeard these chickens have been in our back yard and a few times have made their way into our house because we had the garage door open. On time at 2:30am one few up and land on our window a/c unit and kept us up. We mentioned this to our next door neighbor and they though it was funny. We have a 4 year old and a 1 year old and we've had to throw out toys and mpty the sand box because of chicken droppings. Next we saw rats running around in our back yard. But the last straw was we had to take my 1 year old to the doctor becuase we put a chicken dropping in his mouth and had to be on antibiotics. Basically we've had enough and feel we have been leanet and have mentioned to the neighbors about them being in our yard many times, but it seems to fall upon silent ears. I've thought about call the town board of health, but I know if I do the nieghbors will know its us and fear they will seek revenge some how. Any advice?
Why would you do THAT? :eek:

Anybody up for some fried chicken? ;)

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

So we have this neighbor that has chickens even though the town does not warrent them unless the property is 2 acers or more, which its not.

<snip, snap, snup> Any advice?
Get a small dog or a cat that will chase the chickens and keep them out of your yard. I live out in the country. My neighbor's chickens got in my barn and laid eggs. I acquired a dog and the chickens don't come in the yard or the barn anymore. ;)

I have chickens AND cats, and I'd put my money on the chickens every time! :D

Seriously though, I loathe people who let their animals wander, be it cats or dogs or poultry! Chickens are natural strollers - though I'm surprised one was out at 2am, they are lovers of daytime - so unless you call animal control, put up a high fence, or get a dog, you may be out of luck.

Good luck!

NF

if they wander into your yard and the neighbor isnt around, throw the bird into your car and drive it to the huname society or a farm and drop it off somewhere. As they start to disappear, I am sure that the neighbor will keep up with them better

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">