• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor's request to "take care of falling leaves in pool"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mogo70

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My neighbor complained that the leaves from the tree in my yard were falling into her uncovered swimming pool. Being a good neighbor I don't mind pruning down/back my tree but can do I request that she help pay for it? Also, short of completely removing the tree, it is still going to drop some leaves in her pool. Am I covered legally for at least trimming back what I can? :confused: Thanks for any insights!!

Banned_Princess

My neighbor complained that the leaves from the tree in my yard were falling into her uncovered swimming pool. Being a good neighbor I don't mind pruning down/back my tree but can do I request that she help pay for it? Also, short of completely removing the tree, it is still going to drop some leaves in her pool. Am I covered legally for at least trimming back what I can? :confused: Thanks for any insights!!
If the tree over hangs the property border, the limbs on her side of the line are her problem to remove (as long as doing so will not cause harm to the tree.)

If its totally in your yard, then it is all your responsibility to take care of it if you want to. There is no law that says you have to keep leaves in your own yard. Leaves that blow over naturally are, again, her problem, not yours.

FarmerJ

Pool cover POOL cover PoOl CoVeR , no matter how you say it , the result is still the same. If its covered then it wont matter if its leaves from your tree , any other nieghbors or strong wind carried things.

csi7

Take a picture of the tree from all angles in your yard.

Leaves that fall, blow, hang over the property line are not your responsibility.

If the neighbor chooses to not use a pool cover, the responsibility is theirs to keep the pool cleared of leaves. If the neighbor uses a pool cover, the leaves can be blown off the cover easily.

HomeGuru

**A: yes you can request, but neighbor is not obligated to pay anything.

TigerD

You could offer to fill in her pool with dirt. That would end her cleaning problem.

DC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">