• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor's storm drain on my property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Celticqt

What is the name of your state? PA

When my neighbor built her house our lot was vacant. They were required to extend their storm drain to build. They didn't follow their property line and zigzagged the back 50 feet or so off what would become our property.
The previous owners of the house we bought may not have known about this, there was never a mention of this nor did we even know about it until- of course- there may be a break in the pipe and our neighbor wants us to start digging it up to try to locate the leak. She also wants to hold us responsible for the damage to her basement because of flooding.
My question is- how are we responsible for this pipe that shouldn't be in our yard in the first place. There are no easements on record and the municipality we live in cannot even produce a permit that should have been granted to extend the storm drain. This could turn out to be costly for us.
We have hired a lawyer to see what our liabilities are but from what every one is telling us it is up to us to remedy this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">