• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor's sumppump drains in my yard

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jasmi

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? MA

My next door neighbors recently put on an addition with a basement. During construction, they apparently discovered they would have water problems in this new basement. They installed a sump pump, drain it out through the back of their house with a hose which is then buried underground and leads out about 15-20 feet into their backyard. The other day we had a moderately heavy rainstorm. At the point where their hose terminates, a mini-geyser erupted as the water forced itself up to ground level. From there, it followed the downward slope of the land, eroding holes under my wood fence and settling in the back corner of my yard as a good-sized puddle. When my husband approached the neighbor about the situation, they seemed defensive and disinclined to do anything about it. Is this legal? Please advise. Thank you.

HomeGuru

jasmi said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? MA

My next door neighbors recently put on an addition with a basement. During construction, they apparently discovered they would have water problems in this new basement. They installed a sump pump, drain it out through the back of their house with a hose which is then buried underground and leads out about 15-20 feet into their backyard. The other day we had a moderately heavy rainstorm. At the point where their hose terminates, a mini-geyser erupted as the water forced itself up to ground level. From there, it followed the downward slope of the land, eroding holes under my wood fence and settling in the back corner of my yard as a good-sized puddle. When my husband approached the neighbor about the situation, they seemed defensive and disinclined to do anything about it. Is this legal? Please advise. Thank you.

**A: yes, it is legal as a neighbor to be defensive and not so inclined.

ms.magoo

Neighbour's sumppump drains in my yard

I think you have a case against your neighbour here. If your neighbour lives higher up the slope from you an he's draining water onto your property, creating damages on its way in your yard, you can seek damages from him. Plus make the fella fix the drainage problem so that it doesn't do anymore damages to your property. Take pictures of the problem, (pipe, an area) an the damages he's creating in your yard, take them an your claim to a lawyer to review it for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">