• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor's tenant is harrassing me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anwi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oakland, CA
Hello. I purchased my property a year ago, had it remodeled, and moved in three months ago. There is fencing around my property which defines the property line. There is a side gate on the east side of my property that leads to a walkway between my house and the neighbors house which leads to my back yard. The neighbors tenant is seemingly obsessed with the lock to that gate and DEMANDS it remain locked at all times as she is afraid that intruders will access this neighbors yard where she lives. However, their yard is bordered by three to four other back yards, including mine, and is visible/accessible from two to three other yards to the west of us (all yards side by side and face each other on opposing streets).
The walk-way in question houses the PG&E meters to my neighbor property and as a result we all have the keys, specifically for meter access. I keep the gate locked anyway for my own protection, but even when I was present, in the back yard working, she came out to speak to me about locking the gate still.
I wish to contact the owner to inform her that this tenant is harassing me and possibly my own tenants (I own a fourplex and live in one apartment). What are this next door neighbors, tenant's real rights regarding the shared lock and what should be my course of action to curtail this nuisance to enjoyment of my gate and yard?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If you keep the gate locked anyway, what's the problem?
Are we talking about a padlock?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
To answer your basic question - no, she no legal say regarding whether you lock your gate or not.

anwi

No it is not a padlock, just a regular lock with key. And you're right. Discussion is not harassment, but she has not 'discussed' the issue with me. She simply demands, insists and tells me to lock the gate. I view it as harassing.
But the point is that she has no legal rights regarding what I do with my gate. I am very respectful and yes it is always locked unless it is in use.
I will alert her landlord and my tenants as needed. Thank you all for your responses. This is a great forum!

clch

Might be worth trying, even if somewhat crass: the next time she brings it up, in a calm, measured tone, respond "you have said that before, i have heard it before, now f*$% off about the gate because I will lock it when and if I see fit." Any money she will not raise the issue with you ever again.

Not usually a fan of profanity and rudeness, but sometimes it has a way of impressing the finality of a point on folks who perceive normal conversation and politeness as an invitation to revisit the same issue repeatedly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">