• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbors' Trash

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rdidio

What is the name of your state? Hawaii

I live in an apartment building that has a total of 4 apartments, including mine. We each have our own labelled garbage can outside in a concrete structure to hold them in one area. A few months ago, someone stole all the wheels off of the 4 garbage cans (crazy, I know). So, the cans can no longer stand on their own because they're missing the wheels on one side. As long as they're leaning against something, they're fine. Because the cans don't stand on their own and are more difficult to move, everyone else in my building has decided to get lazy about trash. Some of them will put their trash in the cans while they're in the little structre, but will never put them out to the curb when it's trash day. Of course, my parking spot is the one next to the structure, so I get to deal with the wonderful smell of their old trash in there. We've usually been leaving one or two of the cans out at the road at all times so that we don't have to drag the wheel-less cans around. I don't know who keeps doing it, but one of my neighbors will put their trash NEXT TO the cans by the road, even if the cans are completely empty. Then the wild animals will get into the trash and I have to deal with trash all over my parking spot.

I checked my lease and it doesn't say anything in there about the trash issue. Should I talk to my landlord about it or try talking to the neighbors? I was thinking of maybe putting a note on everyone's door or something... I'm just worried about some kind of retaliation because one apartment has these obnoxious boys in it and I wouldn't be surprised if they did something.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

caslerst

Are these cans owned by the landlord or the sanitation dept? If the sanitation dept owns them I would call them. They might replace the cans or fix the ones you have.

Failing that I would talk to the landlord. He/she can send letters to everyone so there are no reprisals against you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">