• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbors tree

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

weaveb01

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California
My neighbors tree is interfering with my cable line going to my home. My cable company says it is the neighbors
responsibility to cut the large branch to so they can replace the damaged cable .Is the cable company right

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California
My neighbors tree is interfering with my cable line going to my home. My cable company says it is the neighbors
responsibility to cut the large branch to so they can replace the damaged cable .Is the cable company right
Who else would have the responsibility to do that?

154NH773

I think it would depend on where the interference with the cable occurs.

If it is over your property, you may cut the offending branch where it crosses onto your property.

If the interference occurs over the neighbor's property, then the cable company should have an easement that allows them to trim, and I would say it is their responsibility.

If the interference occurs over public property, then whatever laws cover that type of interference would apply, but you should have no responsibility.

FarmerJ

Very curious and your city hall can tell you the answer BUT im wondering if your city requires mid line drops where aerial catv & telephone and electric (drops) wires cannot be run over a neighbors lot but instead only go in the air space over the lot they are servicing ? If your city requires mid line drops so wires don't go over anyone elses lot but the lot they are servicing then no matter what your catv company says about it your city ords are what dictate how they must do it. Last you are free to investigate other services like local wireless that goes to a special dish or antenna in a window or on your roof etc. or DSL from your local landline company then suggest to the catv company that either they go change the install at its expense to a underground install or a mid line drop (if your city ordinances do not require mid line drop and again, your city can tell you this information) or if they are not willing to do so then you will order new services from ___________ ( there is not a lot they can do if you cut the line where it goes into your home and take the drop down where it ties to your house and cut it at your property line if you are truly done with them)

154NH773

It is true that local ordinances may prevail, and also State tariffs may dictate how the lines are run. In general, the power utility writes easements that also include the other utilities such as telephone and cable.

My experience has been that when a utility writes an easement to allow access to a meter, they write it so broadly that it gives them the right to cross that property and service other properties. By doing so, they also gain that right for any other utility. Usually that easement gives them the right to trim any obstruction.

So, if the utilities have an easement allowing them to cross your neighbor's property to service yours, then they probably have the right to trim any obstruction. You, do not have that right unless the offending limb is over your property.

I would say that the cable company is responsible, either because they have the right through easement, or if they have no easement across your neighbor's property, they should move the line.

I would call the power utility and ask if they have an easement on your neighbor's property; get a copy and see what it says.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">