• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor's Tree Branches Hanging Over Property Line; Who's Responsible to Cut?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? NV

I have a friend who owns a property which he bought about 6 months ago. Two of the neighbors have trees which their branches hang over the property line onto my friend's property. My friend doesn't like the idea of having to clean up the leaves of the neighbors trees or want to have to worry about branches breaking and falling on his things.

My friend would just assume they remove the trees altogether, however they don't want to do that.

Who's responsibilty is it to cut the trees, my friend or the neighbors?

Does my friend need the neighbors premission to cut the portion of the branches which cross the line?

Could my friend get in trouble if he cuts back further than the property line?

Do the neighbors have to cut the branches just back to the line, remove the branches which cross altogether or have to remove the whole trees?

Thank you.

LindaP777

My friend would just assume they remove the trees altogether, however they don't want to do that.
Then your friend can not.

Who's responsibilty is it to cut the trees, my friend or the neighbors?
Your friend can cut anything that is on his side of the property line. Straight up. Do not cross the line. Do not step onto the neighbors property to trim the trees, either.

Does my friend need the neighbors premission to cut the portion of the branches which cross the line?
He does not need permission to cut anything on his side of the property. CAUTION; if he cuts too much and the tree dies, he could be sued for damage.

Could my friend get in trouble if he cuts back further than the property line?
Absolutely.

Do the neighbors have to cut the branches just back to the line, remove the branches which cross altogether or have to remove the whole trees?
The neighbor who owns the trees doesn't have to do anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">