• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor's Trees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gintomo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina
My neighbor had two rather large trees (90ft +) fall across my fence and into my property. I have had several disagreements with this neighbor before that is why the fence is there. I can repair the fence but was wondering if I can cut the trees and keep the wood from them. I will cut the wood only on my property.

Thanks in advance!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

VA NHood

I am in the same boat as you are. My neighbors planted some horibbly ugly bushes right on the property boundary line, and I do not want them there. The problem is that they planted the bushes when the previous homeowner owned my house, so I was not living here when they were planted. The neighbor, an older woman, was irrational and screamed at me when I politely asked her if we could remove them. So now it is a stalemate. I am going to call our county zoning and ask them what the rules are. You may also receive an answer from your county or town Zoning department. Good luck to both of us! :)

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina
My neighbor had two rather large trees (90ft +) fall across my fence and into my property. I have had several disagreements with this neighbor before that is why the fence is there. I can repair the fence but was wondering if I can cut the trees and keep the wood from them. I will cut the wood only on my property.

Thanks in advance!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

drewguy

ACtually you have two totally different situations.

For the OP, technically the wood is your neighbor's, but he needs to claim it. As a general matter, you are responsible for removing the trees (i.e., he is not responsible).

If you want the wood, I would ask him if he plans to remove the trees. If he says "no" then you can claim the wood while you remove the trees.

For the second poster, if the bushes are on your neighbor's property, then there is very little you can do. Unless there is some zoning law or similar about the particular bushes, if they are on his property they are his bushes. The most you can do is trim the branches back to the property line. If you really don't like them offer to replace them with something you find more attractive.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">