• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbors Trees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Westin007

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada
My neighbors trees are blocking me from getting satellite internet. Do I have any rights to get them to trim the trees so I can get signal?

Westin007

As much as I'd like to just move it, the entire back yard from end to end is a solid wall of very very tall trees, taller than any reasonably priced galvanized steel pole could over come. I mean, they are taller than the utility poles. Yes it does have to be satellite. As much as I'd like to just get cable, my small town does not have that luxury. What we do have is a valley, and so the easiest form of high speed internet for anyone out here is through micro wave signals from towers placed throughout town. Unfortunately, the only town on my side of town is one and a half miles away and these stupid trees are taller than a four story house. I thought maybe I could complain to the city and say they are blocking my view or the mountains, or maybe say it's a spite fence, but I was not sure. I asked my neighbor and he said "Darn, that sucks". Even offered to do it for him all expense paid.

LeeHarveyBlotto

As much as I'd like to just move it, the entire back yard from end to end is a solid wall of very very tall trees, taller than any reasonably priced galvanized steel pole could over come. I mean, they are taller than the utility poles. Yes it does have to be satellite. As much as I'd like to just get cable, my small town does not have that luxury. What we do have is a valley, and so the easiest form of high speed internet for anyone out here is through micro wave signals from towers placed throughout town. Unfortunately, the only town on my side of town is one and a half miles away and these stupid trees are taller than a four story house. I thought maybe I could complain to the city and say they are blocking my view or the mountains, or maybe say it's a spite fence, but I was not sure. I asked my neighbor and he said "Darn, that sucks". Even offered to do it for him all expense paid.
Ask him what it would take to get his cooperation. Negotiate from there.

FarmerJ

ASK this local wireless company what it would cost for them to install this micro dish on a pole /tower if they were to pay it and include so called booster equipment that could help insure any other potential customers near you if you paid the electric to the booster equipment ? I don't see anyway you can really force this neighbor to agree to cut down trees and very likely your city wont either but in all my tiredness I just realized you have not mentioned if your local telephone company has DSL or not ? any who its time to get some sleep , night. lol

nickdevanikar

Solution to Neighbor trees

Hi, you cannot directly cut down the trees, what you should do in my opinion is just have a calm conversation with them and find the solution. Ask any internet company to provide internet facility with some different location .

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Then build a tower. But make sure that it doesn't violate any of your local municipal codes, or else apply for a variance.

The cost of removing those "stupid trees" would be a LOT more than "any reasonably priced galvanized steel pole".

smorr

Wait, we've gone from trimming the trees (in the initial post) to that they are taller than a four story house. That's the size of an apartment building. "Trimming" those would be like taking down two stories worth of building. That's not trimming. And, no, you cannot force him to trim his trees for your satellite dish. You can, however, ask the satellite company to attach the satellite off of a pole, and that pole would be attached to your house. It could be attached at the tallest part of your home, usually close to the pitch of the roof (if it's not a flat roof). It can probably give you an additional 6 feet of height or more (I have a neighbor who did this and receives international satellite stations despite being surrounded by mature Oak trees). At that point, the company can position the satellite in any direction to get the best signal. I think this may be your only option - unless you have the money to get into a legal squabble with your neighbor.....

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
At that point, the company can position the satellite in any direction to get the best signal.
I think you forgot a word in there ;)
(The company's not going to reposition their satellite just for one customer.)

smorr

They might when they're installing the dish. That's what I meant when I mentioned that. Always thought the satellite company does this so the customer gets the proper signal. And, according to the OP, it looks like he hasn't had the service installed yet.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
They might when they're installing the dish. That's what I meant when I mentioned that. Always thought the satellite company does this so the customer gets the proper signal. And, according to the OP, it looks like he hasn't had the service installed yet.
Yep, they can move the dish around to their heart's content...but the satellite stays put. Well, that's the plan at least. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">