• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbors using property without permission

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

help_needed

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

I own vacant land in WA but live outside the state, and only visit a few times per year. The neighbors (who previously owned this parcel) gave permission to a local farmer to cut the field for hay, without asking my permission. To gain access, the person cutting the hay took out 24' of our perimeter fencing and didn't replace it. I didn't know about this until I visited the property some months later and saw the damage to the fence. I then located the farmer and he confirmed that he removed the fence since his equipment didn't fit through the existing gate.

I'm told by a different neighbor that the neighbor/former owner also uses the property regularly for snowmobiling and target shooting, and permits their friends to hunt there. I did not grant permission for them to trespass on the property, and don't like that the neighbors continue to use the land as if they still own it. Also, they have told others in town that they still own it. What can I do to keep them off the land! Thanks.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

ENASNI

You have signs up, yes?

If you have signs up with the statutes regarding trespass according to Washington law in plain view... you are in good shape to send them a CRRL telling them they are breaking the law.
Chapter 9A.52 RCW: Burglary and trespass

Also, they have told others in town that they still own it.
How about selling it back to them? you do not seem to use it often enough to have these headaches, eh?

Also you can have them mend the fence... Put one of the signs right by the damaged part of the fence.

Ask them to ask permission to fix it as well...as you now have signs up that states No trespassing...

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">