• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbors video camera

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

menchari

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OH

This is a question for one of my immediate next door neighbors. The other house next to him has a camera focused on the driveway and front door our mutual neighbor. It does not cover any of the camera owners property. Just our neighbors front property and likely the end of our driveway.
Is this allowable in Ohio? What state laws/codes would allow or prevent this?

Heir7

How can you know for sure that it is not recording some activity in his own front yard or driveway?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OH

This is a question for one of my immediate next door neighbors. The other house next to him has a camera focused on the driveway and front door our mutual neighbor. It does not cover any of the camera owners property. Just our neighbors front property and likely the end of our driveway.
Is this allowable in Ohio? What state laws/codes would allow or prevent this?
In Ohio, it is legal to have a video surveillance camera that captures what is going on outside one's own home, as long as there is no audio recording equipment with it that can pick up the private conversations of others.

It would be illegal to film the interior of a neighbor's house but in driveways, on sidewalks, in roads and in yards there should be no expectation of privacy (under most circumstances). Once a person leaves the confines of a home, the person can now expect to be filmed and photographed pretty much everywhere (except in public rest rooms).

The laws that apply are found in Ohio's Rev Code 2933.51 et seq (2933.51 can be found here, and you can click "next" to access the rest of the code): http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2933.51

A good overview of the laws can be found at the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press site: http://www.rcfp.org/reporters-recording-guide/state-state-guide/ohio

Last edited:

Hermana

Thanks for your such a valuable tips about that topic. I will keep in mind such a information tips about " Neighbors video camera " :D

quincy

Thanks for your such a valuable tips about that topic. I will keep in mind such a information tips about " Neighbors video camera " :D
It is important to note, Hermana, that although there are federal privacy laws that will apply to all states in the U.S., each state in the U.S. also has its own privacy laws. These state privacy laws can vary in significant ways from state to state.

What I referred to in my post apply to the state of Ohio, where menchari resides. If you do not live in Ohio, the information provided above may not apply to you. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">