• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor's visiting dog

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Spokane24

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

My neighbors family is visiting this week and they brought their small dog. I have two large dogs contained by an invisible fence. We have seen this small dogs on our property a few times now.... Two nights ago I heard a sound like an animal being attached. I called for my dogs who came instantly and were fine - no blood or scratches. The next day we were told by the neighbors that their visitor's dog was attacked and rushed to the pet emergency that same night of the sound. Total cost was $350 for stitches and supposed collapsed lung. The visitors STRONGLY believe this to be done by my dog but didn't see it happen. This mostly likely happened on my property.
I've asked her to keep her dog on a leash as I'm already to doing my part with the fence.

The visitor wants me to pay half and is VERY mad at me. I don't think I have to pay. She is very mad and seems unstable (crazy!). I'm worried that she will try to hurt my dogs if I don't offer to help. My dog frequently chases cars and I'm sure she would aim for him.
I'm plan to keep them kenneled while they are still here...

Should I pay? Should I report her somehow?

Spokane24

An invisible fence is meant to keep MY dog in as they are wearing a collar that works with a transmitter. It doesn't keep anything out. I realize that. However, it is still my property and that other dog was on it.

Why would I have to pay half if they can't contain their dog?

It wouldn't keep another animal out, unless that animal is wearing the collar that goes with the fence. The invisible fence is there to keep OP's dogs in his/her yard.
Oh, how is that helpfull? because it keeps only the dogs who are out all night, in? what about poor little dogs who aree away from home and curious? what about wild animals, what about neighborhood children, what happens when they want to pet the ferocious beasts, and can because theres no fence?

Even if I agree that the invisable fence is ok during the day when there is supervision, she had her dogs damn near loose in the back yard during the night when she (and the neighbors ) were asleep.

I think she owes for part of the bill, it was part her dogs.

An invisible fence is meant to keep MY dog in as they are wearing a collar that works with a transmitter. It doesn't keep anything out. I realize that. However, it is still my property and that other dog was on it.

Why would I have to pay half if they can't contain their dog?

so because its your property, whatever happens on it is not your responcibility? I think that may make it more your responsibility.

Spokane24

furthermore I think you know your dogs did this and its right to pay half, an "invisable" fence that keeps nothing out, is no fence at all. (I think your crazy_)
I'm not questing whether my dog did this by the way. If you don't know anything about invisible fence don't respond.

Why the need to call me crazy? I don't think any of us are hear to be mean... just looking for help.

Last edited:

Spokane24

so because its your property, whatever happens on it is not your responcibility? I think that may make it more your responsibility.
you really don't think that since they can't keep their dog on their property that it's my fault? I can contain mine. I really do want to do the right thing but feel slighted I guess.

I'm just responding to your post. I do know about "invisable"fences and I think they are a rip off, and do nothing to protect this kiond of thing. (obviously)

And you called your neighbor crazy, your dogs almost killed there dog, I think you may appear "crazy" too if a wolf came into your yard, and killed your dogs. Where's your invisable fence now?

(far feched I know but it does have a point.) Then the owner of the Wolf, doesnt want to pay, he had an invisabele fence that shorted, and the wolf got out, but it didnt happen on his property so hes not responsible.

Be a good neighbor, and do the right thing.

Spokane24

Oh, how is that helpfull? because it keeps only the dogs who are out all night, in? what about poor little dogs who aree away from home and curious? what about wild animals, what about neighborhood children, what happens when they want to pet the ferocious beasts, and can because theres no fence?

Even if I agree that the invisable fence is ok during the day when there is supervision, she had her dogs damn near loose in the back yard during the night when she (and the neighbors ) were asleep.

No one was asleep - not sure where you got that from. I was in the living room - not that it matters.

Thank you for your opion though. I gather your snide tone but it does help me anyway.

No one was asleep - not sure where you got that from. I was in the living room - not that it matters.

Thank you for your opion though. I gather your snide tone but it does help me anyway.
Well Im sorry to have maby offended you with my oppinion of invisable fences. , I hope you agree to help with the bill, and have a nice day!

Spokane24

I'm just responding to your post. I do know about "invisable"fences and I think they are a rip off, and do nothing to protect this kiond of thing. (obviously)

And you called your neighbor crazy, your dogs almost killed there dog, I think you may appear "crazy" too if a wolf came into your yard, and killed your dogs. Where's your invisable fence now?

(far feched I know but it does have a point.) Then the owner of the Wolf, doesnt want to pay, he had an invisabele fence that shorted, and the wolf got out, but it didnt happen on his property so hes not responsible.

Be a good neighbor, and do the right thing.
You are very right. I know that my fence doesn't protect my dogs from wolves or coyotes... I never claimed that. During the day and sleep time they are in a kennel

lealea1005

Got your knickers in a knot, or are you usually this nasty?

Why is that poor little curioous dog allowed to roam, unsupervised, at night, especially when it is in unfamiliar surroundings? Aren't his/her owners afraid of all the wild animals, other dogs, the welfare of their dog, etc?

OP, IMHO, (and being the owner of a pet that was killed by a neighbor's roaming dog, while my pet was sunning himself on our driveway) you should offer to pay some portion of the vet bill.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

My neighbors family is visiting this week and they brought their small dog. I have two large dogs contained by an invisible fence. We have seen this small dogs on our property a few times now.... Two nights ago I heard a sound like an animal being attached. I called for my dogs who came instantly and were fine - no blood or scratches. The next day we were told by the neighbors that their visitor's dog was attacked and rushed to the pet emergency that same night of the sound. Total cost was $350 for stitches and supposed collapsed lung. The visitors STRONGLY believe this to be done by my dog but didn't see it happen. This mostly likely happened on my property.
I've asked her to keep her dog on a leash as I'm already to doing my part with the fence.

The visitor wants me to pay half and is VERY mad at me. I don't think I have to pay. She is very mad and seems unstable (crazy!). I'm worried that she will try to hurt my dogs if I don't offer to help. My dog frequently chases cars and I'm sure she would aim for him.
I'm plan to keep them kenneled while they are still here...

Should I pay? Should I report her somehow?
Well now - since your AMAZING invisible fence contains your dog so well, why would this be a worry? :rolleyes::rolleyes:
I'm willing to bet your dogs aren't as well contained as you think.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">