• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbors' wife is causing us major problems!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kat5

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

When we purchased our home about 4 years ago (it was a forclosure) and we were delighted to learn that my husband graduated with the sons of 2 neighbors and the brother to our neighbor right next to us. We also had a pastor on the other side and the house is nearly at the end of a cul-de-sac. We were thrilled! Very shortly after we moved in, we spent countless hours cleaning up the yard and doing our best to fix it up with our limited income. The neighbors seemed very happy. 3 came to tell us in person how happy they were that we bought it and that the previous owners were not here anymore (I hear they were very loud, obnoxious and dirty). Fast forward to 18 months later. I had just returned a few days before from having back surgery and CPS (child protective services) knocks on my door. Apparently one of my neighbors called in a neglect report because my 2 1/2 year old son was playing in the back yard in a diaper in the middle of summer (well closer to the end, but still in the high 70;s to mid 80's out). Well the CPS worker made a full investigation and it was all "unfounded" especially after seeing that my yard is fully fenced in, I have locks on all doors including the screen doors that my youngest couldn't reach and I could see him in the backyard at all times through every window, so he was never alone and he even apologized although I fully understand his responsabilities and wasn't upset with him. I was upset because I felt that I knew who the person that called was. I even asked the worker if it was my next-door neighbor and he said "well, I can't tell you it is but I can say you might not be wrong". Well, I was mostly upset that this "neighbor" couldn't have said anything or asked me if everything was ok in person. We are the type that if something is bothering us, we will talk to you about it. We try to be very respectful and courteous. I think it really upset my husband because 'her' husbands father and my husbands father owned a business together way back when. And my Husband and his brother graduated together. Lots of history there, so it was very upsetting that they would do that. But, we let it go and just went about our business. Now yesterday we got a nice visit from the ACO for our youngest dog (8 month boxer) for barking on wednesday afternoon. We live in a very rural area (the county is less than 25k) and we don't live in the city limits so I was unaware that dogs were not allowed to bark during the day. Anyway, I know it was the same neighbor because she works at the Animal hospital and the caller knew that we had one old and one new "boxer". Well our "old" boxer (who is 9)is smaller than our "new" boxer (8 months) and not many people can tell that they are boxers until they get up close because they are "reverse brindled" and dark in color so they resemble pits more than anything. I don't know why this lady had it out for us! We have put up with their loud partying that goes on until the wee hours every summer, pluss they have 2 big dogs that bark at my kids and dogs, and they burn their garbage in their garage all winter (and oh boy does it stink!) plus they have campfires all the time - windy or not! We have put up with many things but we believe that people should be able to be themselves. They are a younger couple so go ahead, have fun and live it up. If it's too bad my husband will talk to her husband, but now, I just don't know what to do. Oh and we have other neighbors with dogs that bark WAY more than mine do. I just feel like i'm waiting for another shoe to drop or something and I just want to live in peace. I want to be able to let my son play in the backyard in just his shorts on a hot day (he's 5 now) or let my dogs run around around and play outside and if they let out a bark or 2 (not insistently but just playing around) then I don't want to worry about getting ticketed! I did find out that there is no bark law or whatever during the day for my township and that the "caller" exagerated in order to get them to come over. I also think the ACO and this lady are friends especially if she works for the animal hospital. Anyways, long story short does anyone have any ideas how we can get this lady to stop harassing us? I know I can't sue her for slander because people can make all the accusations they want and it's supposed to be "confidential" but this is ridiculous! We also don't think it's necessarily the husband so much because of the history with their fathers and school etc. I just don't want to be scared to let my kids play outside or let my dogs out for more than 5 minutes. Any suggesstions??? Any advice would be great! And if I missed any key info, just ask. Thanks!

FarmerJ

Chalk it all off to someone being drama king-queen and do your best to ignore it all ,as you said CPS was out and satisfied , animal control was out and there is no ord about daytime barking so consider finding with in you the ability to ignore it all move forward , sooner or later anyone this person calls is going to begin to take any complaint made to them less seriously , you know `the boy who cried wolf thing`. Not much you can do about your husbands choices of friends and remember any friends he makes could certainly be worse. It might not hurt to keep a note book about past and any future complaints BUT remember this whom ever you think it is thats calling it may well be someone else!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">