• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbors won't give easement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

powerless in CA

:eek: What is the name of your state? California . I am placing a manufactured home on a 5 acre parcel. 6 months ago I began the process of getting electricity to the property with the local utility company. They developed a plan and I gave them a $10,000.00 deposit for the work. Two neighbors are blocking my access to the power poles and are refusing to give easement. Any suggestions out there. Thanks!!!

nextwife

Did you buy a landlocked property? Why did you agree to buy it without FIRST acquiring access to all necessary utilities? Do none of the five acres abute a public road from which you can bring utilities?

powerless in CA

Power has never been run down my road. The existing poles run north and south and are located east of my house. They are land locked by 2 2.5 acre parcels and neither neighbor will sign easement.

seniorjudge

Power has never been run down my road. The existing poles run north and south and are located east of my house. They are land locked by 2 2.5 acre parcels and neither neighbor will sign easement.
Your alternatives are to re-route your easement for power or sue the neighbors.

danno6925

Where does power for the neighbors enter their properties? Wouldn't that be the common sense place to run yours?

Have you explored the possibility of drilling underground conduits and running your electricity that way? People do it all the time. See if that will change their minds. I wouldn't want power poles in my yard either!

powerless in CA

Did you buy a landlocked property? Why did you agree to buy it without FIRST acquiring access to all necessary utilities? Do none of the five acres abute a public road from which you can bring utilities?
The county completed a road dedication prior to approving the plans and issuing a building permit; however , no electric easement has ever been established. I obtained the property 3 years ago at auction.

nextwife

The county completed a road dedication prior to approving the plans and issuing a building permit; however , no electric easement has ever been established. I obtained the property 3 years ago at auction.
Well, the neighbors have no obligation to provide an easement. If you make it financially worth their while, perhaps they will reconsider.

Can't you bring in power from the public road that is contiguous to your parcel? I can't believe that there is NO place you can bring lines from. The neighbors are not required to provide the most cost effective method - are you sure NO other way to bring in power exists, even if it is more costly?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">