• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

new construction next door causing flooding

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I'm located in TX.
I own a 4-plex of townhomes. It sits on the NE quarter of the block. For 10 + years it was the only building there. About a year ago someone built a small apartment complex on the entire south half of the block. Prior to their construction the NW corner of the block was the "high point" and the SE corner the natural "low point". Drainage was never a problem. Even during extremely heavy rains, including flash flood conditions, the water easily drained away from my building and while the yard would be water-logged, water never came close to entering the building.

Now, due to the neighboring lots being "built up" greatly, the water isn't draining like it used to. Twice in the past 9 months I've had water (large amounts) in my building. I'm not the only neighbor effected. We've now suffered damages twice. And we're looking at having to make some major alterations to our lot to avoid flooding of the building in the future.

Does the new neighbor bear any responsibility for this, or their contractor perhaps? Does the city bear any responsibility for approving the plans for this construction? If so, where do I begin? Or am I just banging my head against the wall?

Thanks in advance.
txlandlady

FarmerJ

You should be able to learn from your zoning dept what they require of property owners when changes are made that might alter drainage. Since the other property was lower than your own this should not have been a problem but you still should what you can about local drainage rules If the rules were followed then it sounds like you will just have to make what ever changes you need to reduce the odds of this again.

allmywebsite1

Ya your new neighbour has a responsibility to help u for this kind of problem and u just ask your area zone officer and speak with them about this problem i hope they will guide u well about how to take legal steps to solve this problem.

LindaP777

Ya your new neighbour has a responsibility to help u for this kind of problem and u just ask your area zone officer and speak with them about this problem i hope they will guide u well about how to take legal steps to solve this problem.

allmywebsite1, remove your webite from your signature. Advertising is not allowed.

justalayman

this is real simple;

the neighbor took action that caused you damage. They are responsible for that damage and responsible for the costs to remedy the situation they caused.

If the neighbor does not agree, take it to the courts. They will agree.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">