• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New easement to replace worthless easement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kfowler57

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Missouri

Five years ago my neighbor sued me to correct the easement he had on my property for ingress/egress. The people I bought from had given it to him but it was not surveyed and what he had was not usable. He then decided to sell and was forced to settle with me. I had several stipulations, the pertinent one here being that I would allow a new easement only if he (plaintiff) paid all expenses, for the survey, the permanent marking of the easement and the preparation of the warranty deed for the new easment -and so the settlement agreement was written. The original, useless easement was quit-claimed back to me.
Within a week I was informed by my lawyer that the plaintiff had decided not to spend the additional money to put the easement back on my property, as he had already moved away. My lawyer told me I was "free and clear".
I just found out that the new neighbor was told that he had an easement by his realtor at the time of the sale and he seems to believe that the settlement paperwork is itself proof of his easement, although no deed exists (we've checked with the courthouse to be sure. They assured us there was no longer an easement on our property).
Question: After five years, can the new neighbor force me to give him an easement based on the settlement paperwork? It does reference all assignees. Could he force someone I sell to? Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">