• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New neighbor boundary claims

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RockyP

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut

The sale of my neighbors house is in contract. The buyer want the neighbors on both sides to sign papers regarding the surveyed property lines.

The actual line is on what looks to be my property. Their fence and driveway ends a good 15 feet on her side of the line for about 100+ feet. I've been maintaining the property since I bought my house 6 years ago. While I don't dispute the location of the line, I don't want any issues with the future maintenance of the property that extends from their driveway. There is also an issue of drainage off their driveway running through my yard.

Do I have any rights to the area since I've been maintaining it. Landscaping, dead tree removal.

Thoughts?:confused:

I think it'd be nice if you could get some of your neighbor's property!

Let me know if you have any luck!

But seriously, you might be able to get permissive use, where you can continue to maintain it, or perhaps they would sell it to you, but overall, I would avoid signing anything that isn't in your immediate interest unless, of course, you run it by your lawyer.

Perhaps they'll take care of the drainage for your siggy, huh?

Good luck!

rowz

Why would it matter one bit if the adoining property owners signed something**************..a fresh survey....paid for by Seller/Buyer Both would be the way to go and I'd expect that the lender in this situaion would require one.

This issue could cloud title thereby making title un-insurable and thefore not saleable until the matter is cleared up.

RockyP

Thanks for the replies.

A new survey was done and I don't disagree with the the results. What the buyer is asking me to sign is a Quit Claim Deed which states I give up any rights to the property.

I've been maintaining the land because the way the yards come together it appears cosmetically that the 15x100 ft strip is part of my yard and it looks stupid if I don't cut this part of the lawn. I'm very picky about my lawn. I also got along well with the seller and didn't mind.

The buyer is likely to flip the house and I'm guessing is tryng to prevent any delays down the road.

I'm bring the docs to my lawyer tomorrow.

FarmerJ

Having your own property surveyed is the best answer. Either your own survey will match , OR it wont !

woodyga

Get off his land

RockyP,

You clearly state that you dont deny the survey results. So you know that it is not your property. A guick google search found that for adverse possession in your state is "uninterrupted use of someone else's land for 15 years (CGS § 47-37)". So you have no rights to his property. I dont understand why they are asking for a quit claim deed to property you dont even own. My guess is that he is putting you on notice that he knows you are encroaching on his property, and as soon as he owns it he will demand that you stop trespassing.

The Way I see it you have 3 choices.
1) try to buy the strip of land you have been trespassing on.
2) get written permission to mow his property for him.
3) Get off his Land

I now know where the saying "good fences make good neighbors" comes from. I see a fence in your future RockyP.

What I dont understand is people trying to get property for free. You would not go to the grocery store once a month and spend over $1000 and then leave your groceries on the counter for every one else to enjoy would you. Is That what you are trying to do to your neighbor, Use his groceries after he has paid for them. Would it be ok with you for him to come over on your property and build a garden or a shed or whatever or worse kill your grass because your grass makes his lawn look bad, Probably not.

Woody,

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">