• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

new neighbor ruins character of neighborhood

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jenniferjo

What is the name of your state? New Hampshire
Our neighborhood is new at only about one and a half years old. Recently, the last two houses on the cul de sac were sold, and the new neighbors moved in. One of the houses that is in direct view of the 8 other houses on the circle decided to put up a very ugly privacy fence right on the line of his property, and ruining the river view for the rest of the houses on one side of the circle. Everyone in the circle is very upset about this fence. It not only ruins the river view for four of the properties, but it also runs right along the easement that goes to the river on which we all have the right of way and are allowed access to. Now, we cannot walk down to the river - a benefit of buying in this community, which is called "Riverwatch". We were told by the town building inspector that he has a right to put anything on his land and there are no zoning laws for this town as far as property lines go. I don't know what the state laws are, though. How can we handle this matter? No one would mind if there was a fence there, just a more tasteful one that blended with the neighborhood, and that would allow us our usual entry to the river bank. What actions can we take to have this fence removed?

divgradcurl

What actions can we take to have this fence removed?
If there are no CC&R's for the neighborhood that specify architectural styles and the like, and no building codes, then there probably isn't anything you can do. If he has blocked an easement, then you can probably sue to regain access to the easement -- but that doesn't necessarily mean that the fence has to come down, only that you have to have access to the easement, which could be a gate.

If the neighbor is not blocking an easement, and is not in violation of any building codes or CC&R's, then you really can't make him do anything. Maybe all of the neighbors could get together and pitch in to buy the neighbor a new fence that fits more with the "style" of the neighborhood -- but don't expect the neighbor to pay for it, and don't be suprised if the neighbor says no.

Check to see if there are any CC&R's in your neighborhood that require an architectural review board to approve changes, maybe check again with the city or county, other than that, probably not much you can do. Have you talked with the nieghbor about their fence?

nextwife

DO double check your municipal fence ordinances. Some municipalities strictly prohibit any fencing that is FORWARD of the front line of the house. In my village, for example, any fence that is forward of the front line cannot exceed 3 1/2 feet in height.

pammness

Listen to others

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

Oh, bullcrap.

Knock the damn thing down at 3:30 a.m.

Problem solved.

IAAL
This does not sound like such sound advise coming from such a graduated attorney..... Geesh, totally against the law, Listen to the other advise and check to see if the fence is with-in the code.

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

pammness said:
This does not sound like such sound advise coming from such a graduated attorney..... Geesh, totally against the law, Listen to the other advise and check to see if the fence is with-in the code.

My response:

I'm sure glad you went back and corrected your spelling!

Except for one word - - it's spelled "within".

What was the highest grade level you achieved? Was that 4th or 5th grade?

IAAL

Veronica1228

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

IAAL
You forgot "advise." It should be "advice." One is a verb, the other is a noun.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Veronica1228 said:
You forgot "advise." It should be "advice." One is a verb, the other is a noun.

My response:

You're right. I just can't keep up with all of PamDufusness' spelling errors on all of her posts. They just all seem to blur together.

IAAL

Veronica1228

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

You're right. I just can't keep up with all of PamDufusness' spelling errors on all of her posts. They just all seem to blur together.

IAAL
I have to admit that I hate spelling and grammatical errors almost as much as you do. Almost.

pammness

How many degrees do you have ??

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

IAAL
I go back to my previous statement. Either here or on another post. I did not know an English Teacher was here.
If spelling is the only fault you have, maybe after 25 years you need to retire, so you can get some rest... you need it.

Buckley

Pam, Pam, Pam

The OP has a problem with her new neighbor's fence and she was told all of the options that she has. I'm sorry that none of those optiopns included hand holding. warm feelings, and furry little bunnies or whatever the hell it is you want. Here is some "advise" for you. Your jumping on this post just causes a big fight and takes away from the information that the poster is trying to get. Sure, IAAL, can be obnoxious. But here's a secret: THAT'S NOT NEWS. We all know that. He's proud of it. If you don't agree with him, just ignore him. If it's way over the top, then get on and yell at him. He just wasn't that obnoxious here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">