• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Owner/Fence Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

september07

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

We recently moved into our home and had a fence question - the old neighbors had a chain link fence (on our property) that they paid to take down,while the neighbor on the other side paid to put up a new wooden fence (about 2 inches onto our property)

We really don't mind whose it is, but she likes to tell us that we have items "too close to HER fence" which gets somewhat annoying. Also, I would like to weather seal it to protect it.

It's a strange situation, but whose fence is it legally?

Thanks in advance!

CraigFL

Did you have the property surveyed before you bought it to establish the boundaries? Are the survey flags still there to show that? If not, ytou should survey to let YOU know where they are...

after you prove that the fence is encroaching onto your property, let her know that you will put anything up against the fence that you like and if she doesnt like it, have them remove the fence from your property!!!!

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

We recently moved into our home and had a fence question - the old neighbors had a chain link fence (on our property) that they paid to take down,while the neighbor on the other side paid to put up a new wooden fence (about 2 inches onto our property)

We really don't mind whose it is, but she likes to tell us that we have items "too close to HER fence" which gets somewhat annoying. Also, I would like to weather seal it to protect it.

It's a strange situation, but whose fence is it legally?

Thanks in advance!

**A: where is your recently completed property boundary survey?

september07

I know it's on our property because it's 2 inches in front of the fence of the neighbor to our left and also the neighbor to our right (everyone has a similar back fence) My question was, if she paid for it, even though it's 1-2 inches onto our property, is it hers?

nextwife

I know it's on our property because it's 2 inches in front of the fence of the neighbor to our left and also the neighbor to our right (everyone has a similar back fence) My question was, if she paid for it, even though it's 1-2 inches onto our property, is it hers?
How does that prove the legal boundary? Because someone threw up a fence there?

Chris2289

lol, i love these types of cases. i think you should fence round her front garden and say its your property, by her law you're right

september07

Ha - love the fence her garden idea ;) I would never remove the fence as it's on our boundary and I love it - I just want to stain it darker.....
Thanks for the replies!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Ha - love the fence her garden idea ;) I would never remove the fence as it's on our boundary and I love it - I just want to stain it darker.....
Thanks for the replies!
staining it darker is MUCH different than simply applying weather sealer...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">