• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Next door tenant vandalism

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Torellian

What is the name of your state? WI

This question has so many factors, so I hope this is the correct section to ask it.

I am a homeowner and have lived at my current address for the past 9 years. Next door is a house that is being rented out. Living there are a woman and a 9 year old girl. The mother does a terrible job of supervising her daughter and lets her pretty much do anything, and she does just that. Therefore, I have to keep an eye on her whenever she's outside. I've caught her in the act of attempted theft and vandalism on my property and was able to stop most of it. However, last night I caught her and 4 of her friends jumping up and down and stomping on a concrete area that runs between the 2 houses (the houses are close together) until the concrete gave way and collapsed. The ground beneath the concrete had eroded away in the past, so now there is a 3' by 2.5' wide hole there that is a safety hazard. She showed the hole to her mother, saying it was "awesome!" Her mother didn't seem to think much of it and went back in the house. So then her daughter and friends continued breaking up the concrete while I was watching them. I had thought the mother was going to put a stop to it, but that didn't happen. I banged on the wall to let the kids know I was watching them and noting what they were doing. Usually they run away when they see me, but not this time. (I can't go out and discipline other peoples' kids, and I didn't want to get into a confrontation with the neighbor).

Today, I contacted the landlord of that house and had him come over and I showed him the damage. Immediately, he said "Nah, those kids couldn't have done this". I said, "I was right there", as I pointed to the window I was watching them through, "and I saw them do it." He just kept repeating to me that there was no way they could have done it. He was flat out calling me a liar! Then he told me that rain water would end up in my basement when it rained, and that the repair would benefit me more than him. I took this to mean he wanted me to pay at least part of the repair bill. Problem is, the hole is on their side of the property line, and the damage was done by the tenant's daughter (and I was an eyewitness to this). After talking to this landlord, I then felt I was going to have some problems with this situation, so I contacted the police who said this is a civil matter and that I should look for some advice either from a free legal organization or the internet. Well, here I am! Anyone here have any suggestions on what my next move should be, if any?

FarmerJ

A video recording of actions that cause damage to your property might help you alot when you end up having to contact the police . Also check with your city/ county zoning desk to learn if there are ords that would require the LL to make a repair to the walkway.

Torellian

Well, I don't own a camcorder and so I don't have any video evidence. But that leads me to a question about that.....

If I am an eyewitness to damage being done (which is true in this case), and I tell the landlord about it, and he dismisses me as a liar, and now expects me to pay half of the repair bill since my side of the walkway will also have to be torn up to do the work, how would this affect my case if I decided to go to court? I mean, if I testify that I saw the damage being done by these kids, and the landlord says they didn't do it, and I don't have a videotape showing them do it---who would the judge believe? (In your opinion)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">