• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Nieghbors use my private drive

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

just4ladejane

What is the name of your state? MS

My neighbors use my entire driveway, along with the tenants of their three rentals. Their land is parallel to mine, side by side, rectangular lots. (His is 2-3x the width of mine - maybe irrelevent, I now)

My land (back of house - back driveway) goes to a public road. Their property is adjoined by anothers property onm the north side. Their deed states they have easement for ingress and egress - 15 foot from (their) NW corner. Making it 7.5 feet on my side and 7.5 feet on their neighbors (north) side. access to the back of his property is through the others 7.5 feet. The easement goes north to the public Road. They continue to use my driveway in its entirety which is approximately 300 feet to my back yard, in which they have a parking lot adjoining the drive. This is where their tentants all park.

They have access to their property from the south. Owners before them had this driveway lead to the front of one of the rentals and to the parking lot. It is now a beautiful back yard with fish pond and gazebo... One of the rentals is an apartment above their garage. Now they are going to build a 2-story garage in between two of their rentals (east of the length of my driveway.

The only way for contractors, trucks, etc to get to this area is on my driveway. I have written letters, attempted to discuss the driveway, but they refuse to speak to me. The last letter stated that until we can discuss the matter appropriately, I dismiss anyone using my driveway except myself and those I designate.

The have a new renter now, they continue to use the drive, as well as this new tenant.

What right do they have to ignore my request and continue using it, and claiming it as their right of way and easement. (I assure you I went to courthouse, any and all documents show only the easement stated above)

P.S. The other neighbors 7.5 feet now have a house built on part of it and a fence between my driveway and their property (the neighbors easement and access)

Can I legally keep them from using it? Put up a chain and no tresspassing sign? I really can't afford an attorney. I never really minded them using it, until they started stating, and others around repeated that it is as much their driveway as it is mine. I am only protecting my property rights.

Thank you.

Replies will be greatly appreciated.

BelizeBreeze

Put up a sign and spread roofing nails alongside the driveway on their side.

After they pay for a few tires they'll get the message.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">