• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No easement access in neighbor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rushm

What is the name of your state? Iowa.

There is an easement area between my neighbor and my house, but the neighbor covered all his easement area with cement (at his request to builder), which cannot be reached. So every time my neighbor orders cable service or repair, there will be a long ditch passing thru my yard to his house, which looks ugly. I am quite unhappy with the fact that I have to manage my damaged yard for his cable service now or anytime in the future. I do not know what I should do. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help.

John Se

do you own the property where the concrete is?

If you do its yours, tell him cables and utilities have to go in the easement. its not that hard, cut the concrete, install cover and patch the concrete. If you own the land he put "his" concrete driveway on he gave it to you. If they are digging trenches within the easement but outside the concrete then you are stuck with it.

rushm

I do not own the porperty with concrete on.

Thank you very much for your valuable input. The property line is in the middle of easement area. Half of the easment owned by my neighbor is covered with concrete for recreational purpose, and another half of easement owned by me is open. So any cable work, no matter ordered by my neighbor or me, will have to pass through the easement area owned by me. Neither of us has right to use the other party's easement area, but cable companies have access to both, and they often chose the easier easement area. You are right I may be stuck with it. If I cover the easement owned by me with concrete, there will not be any access to easement at all. I just do not think it is ethically right if you pour concrete on the easement owned by you, and use the easement owned by other people for your cable routing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">