• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Noise complaints - how far can a neighbor take it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LCW47

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I live with roommates in an upstairs condo. The neighbor below us (she rents, not the owner) constantly complains about hearing footsteps at 11pm. Well, my roommate gets off work at 10pm, and sometimes has to come home and eat dinner late! In other words, this neighbor is very sensitive to noise and does not seem to understand that you are going to hear normal "life" when living underneath someone.

My concern is that she seems unstable. She will often pound on her ceiling (our floor) and slam her closet doors very early in the morning. I don't mind if she calls the police on us because we have nothing to hide - if they show up they will see we are doing nothing out of the ordinary or that violates city noise ordinances! However, could she sue us? I don't think her case would hold up, but I don't want the inconvenience or cost.

We have tried speaking with her, had a mediation conference with her landlord, etc.

Please let me know what her rights are to continue to make unreasonable complaints against us.

justalayman

well, just about anybody can file a suit and if the neighbor would, for whatever reason, you would have to defend against it.

Now, if the question is: does she have a viable suit; not based on what you have presented.

JETX

Please let me know what her rights are to continue to make unreasonable complaints against us.
Her 'rights' are just anyone else.

She can sue you for violating her 'right to peaceful enjoyment' of her property (yes, even rental property).
As to whether it would be successful or not, would depends largely on the FACTS of any noise or specific complaints.

What kind of floor do you have?? Any chance of carpeting or possible putting down rugs or runners where your 'friend' tromps??
Or maybe him/her removing his/her shoes before tromping around??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">