• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Noisy neigbour

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pwhite48

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
Hi
I moved into a condo on 4 Feb. Since moving in, the noise from the neighbours TV/music has been excessively loud. I approached him the day after I moved in and he told me that he often had his TV loud and that I should ask him to turn it down if too loud. I have since been round three times to ask him to turn it down. The last time, he ignorned my knocking for about 15 minutes. When I do ask he will turn it down slightly. I have reported it to the management company and condo association who have said they would speak with him. There is a specific clause about excessive noise in the lease contract, along with a clause forbidding bbqs on the patios (he has bbqs most nights). I have asked the management company to terminate my lease as its only be in place for 2 weeks, and they're telling me that it would mean me paying 3 months rent. Is there anything else I can do? I really cannot be going round there every night to ask them to turn it down as that just causes further hostility. Am I entitled to get the lease terminated without the three month clause?
Hope someone can help advise...

Hot Topic

Have other people complained, especially about the barbeques? The latter can be a major bone of contention when people have the smoke going into where they live, especially with so many people allergic to it.

You could try calling the police regarding the noise. You have to call while the noise is going on, however. A police officer told me that it wasn't a good idea to approach a noise maker. The person could be intoxicated or become belligerent at the interuption.

gravelhighway

First, call the police and see if there are hours of noise restriction in your area. Then, every time you hear the TV being overly loud, call the police.

Here's why:

1) In most places, the police will contact management of the property. If not, get a copy of each report and give it to management.

2) If you call the police each time and they are witness to excessive noise, they will give the person a warning, then start giving tickets. If your neighbor starts getting fined, he'll take it seriously.

ENASNI

um

You also asked :"Am I entitled to get the lease terminated without the three month clause?"

No

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">