• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not a Palm Tree Fan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

annegg

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Calif.

Our neighbors gardener planted a Calif Fan Palmtree about 5 years ago that is growing fast just below some lower power lines.
If that isn't a big enough problem eventually for all residents, for us in particular as this tree has grown it now appears to be on OUR property or straddling the line at best. 5 years ago we were under the impression from this gardener that this was some kind of dwarf palm so didn't give it a second thought . Now it has popped well over our 10 ft wall and is clearly the species topping 30 to 40 feet elsewhere along our street .

What are our options ?

Thanks !

nextwife

And why is it you believe you have any say over what neighbors plant on their land? Unless it is a prohibited species, or classified as a noxious weed or invasive species, I don't see how it's your right to say

Is there a CC&R document that addresses species or height limits? As someone surrounded by (and shaded by) neighbor trees topping over 60-80 feet, I find the idea of considering a 30 or so foot species as "tall" amusing. Especially when the top on it is so skimpy.

jumac

I think what OP is worred about is

1. the tree may have grow to the point where its is somewhat on OP property. Best bet here OP is to break out the paperwork and check where the lines and such are. If it is then OP could look up to see if any laws that deal with that.

2. OP said the tree was planted just below some power lines. I going guess form what OP said that its the main lines going down the road for the houses on the street, and fear that in a storm the tree could take out power for the street. If this is the cause it may be in the easement for the power company and they may take care of it for OP.

annegg

Yep, main concern as a basic neighbor is that it is 3 feet smack under some power lines and no sign of stopping as I am sure it is a 30-40 footer easy, and then further checking it out ..omgosh it may be on my property !

These are not dwp power lines that they are responsible for trimming trees around. Some kind of cable/phone insulated lines running the length of the block.

So I guess I am getting a survey and then if not liable, calling building and safety ?

154NH773

These are not dwp power lines that they are responsible for trimming trees around. Some kind of cable/phone insulated lines running the length of the block.
The lines do not have to be power lines for the appropiate owner (cable, telephone, etc.) to have the right to trim. Usually a utility easement gives anyone using the power poles the right to trim.

dleighty

if the tree is right under lines ,who ever ownes the line be power or phone/cable lines would have a right a way she may not have much say ,

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Calif.

Our neighbors gardener planted a Calif Fan Palmtree about 5 years ago that is growing fast just below some lower power lines.
If that isn't a big enough problem eventually for all residents, for us in particular as this tree has grown it now appears to be on OUR property or straddling the line at best. 5 years ago we were under the impression from this gardener that this was some kind of dwarf palm so didn't give it a second thought . Now it has popped well over our 10 ft wall and is clearly the species topping 30 to 40 feet elsewhere along our street .

What are our options ?

Thanks !
**A: what are you really concered about?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">