• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Nuisance parking options

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

theland

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I have property on both sides of a rural township road with a nuisance parking problem by people I don't know. The township zoning code says parking on the road right of way is not allowed except in specifically deginated areas and this section of road is not one of those (there may be no such designated areas in this township). Local law enforcement is not enthusiastic about helping with the problem. What options do I have? Can I approach people parking and ask them to move their cars? Can I record vehicle IDs and make formal police complaints and expect some action? Can I have cars towed? Are there other options to consider?

drewguy

Insist on enforcement and post your own signs citing the relevant code. Maybe they'll move a few hundred yards down the road.

theland

Insist on enforcement and post your own signs citing the relevant code. Maybe they'll move a few hundred yards down the road.
So far "insisting" hasn't gotten results. That's why I'm wondering what other options are available. If I were to take date and time stamped photos and provide them with written complaints could law enforcement mail parking citations or must they be put on cars by an officer real time?

FarmerJ

The Your best bet I think is to learn when your TWP has its next board meeting and go there and insist they find out for you what the cost of installing signage that says your TWP name and NO PARKING and what the cost would be and how many must be posted per X number of feet unless your on a dead end twp road then it would make sense that if its posted at the start of the road that may be enough , or atleast if you can order from them a sign that inc twp name and No parking . Yes in rural areas its harder to enforce laws like where I live few houses far between, smaller number of officers on duty at any time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">