• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Obnoxious neighbor and a tree

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mina7264

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

My neighbor threatened me that he'll sue me for his dying maple tree located at the property line which is sickly. Just because I asked his wife about possibly replacing it with a tree that doesn't shed leaves (I'm allergic to maples) like evergreen tree at my expense a couple of years ago, now that it looks sickly, he even called a sheriff to get a statement from me and my hubby. He has threatened me saying he'll find out the damage I have caused to his tree and will sue my "ass off" and gave me the finger. I have NOTHING to do with his tree being sickly.

Can I sue him for harassing me (door banging in late evening) and his noisy dog constantly barking tied next to the fence throughout the day and trying to damage my reputation with such ridiculous claim?? I know that guy is in economic hardship because he was unemployed for about 8 months or so although recently got a job about a month ago. My hubby thinks he is after our money and thinks he could have possibly poisoned his own tree to make a case. I think he is the one who recently broke the trunk off of my young cherry tree but don't have any witness. Can he even sue me for something I have nothing to do with?? Or should I just forget about the whole thing? Because of his gigantic St. Bernard barking so loud, I can't go out to that side of my own backyard to water my plants very often. The psycho owner has taught the dog to bark loudly when either my hubby or I am in our garden and constantly encourages the dog saying "good job" when he barks. This is absurd and outrageous!!! Any advice would be great!

Last edited:

jorton56

No legal advice on most of the issues but have a small suggestion or two. Buy some small tasty treats and when you can, flip one to the dog. Don't say anything each time you do it. Before long he will wait quietly for his treat and will ignore his owner's praise over his desire for your treats. There is also a silent bark deterent you can purchase at a pet store. It costs about $40-$50. It has different settings to increase the level of pitch the dog hears each time he barks. Do start out on low setting working up to the higher setting as the dog over time will get used to the higher setting so you will have to start on the low again working your way back up. It does work and is worth the money.

drewguy

Someone always can sue. But they have to be willing to spend a lot of money and find a lawyer who will handle their case. Most would not bother to take on such a case as you describe absent more evidence. He'd have to start with some evidence the tree was actually poisoned. Without that he'd never win, and most lawyers would tell him not to waste his time/money.

mina7264

Thanks for the info!

Thank you both for the helpful info! By the way, do you happen to know the name of that device used to quiet dogs? I wonder if it's legal to use it on a dog that's not mine though. Does it cause pain to the dog? I don't want to hurt the dog in any way--just want some quietness and peace. Thanks again! :)

Tallrat

The bark controllers do not cause damage to the dog but some dogs do not seem to be bothered by them. I would call animal control/police and report it. If they get enough calls they will start ticketing. Wouldn't hurt to video/audio tape it. After the jerk pays enough the dog will not be such a good boy any more.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">