• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Obnoxious neighbors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmta

What is the name of your state? New York

Hello, all.

My problem is with noisy neighbors' kids. About a few years ago, there was an influx of children outside of my house. They'd play on the road and sometimes the sidewalk. At first it wasn't a problem, but as more and more children showed up, the noise increased to unbearable levels.

If you were to look outside from my window, you'd see and hear the following: there would be at least 3 children in ANY direction you are to look; one of those kids would be shrieking while the other two would be dribbling a ball. If it's 3 to 4pm, you'd usually find one particular child racing a noisy ATV or a pocket-bike (smaller version of a motorcycle, but just as noisy) up and down the block for about 1 hour. Once in awhile the children would get creative and fill the road with colorful chalk, right outside my window. Don't forget, most of this is happening RIGHT on the road so horn-blowing from angry drivers who are trying to pass is not a rare sound. Sometimes the basketballs go flying into cars and an 5 minute alarm ensues.

When we moved in, we didn't have a fence, and as the amount of children increased, the amount of space they had diminished, so they began to use our property as they playground. Coming home from work only to find a ruined garden, footprints on lawn, and a bunch of garbage was not an unusual sight. We quickly put up a fence. All was well until I noticed that they just open the gate and walk right in as if it was their own.

There are over 20 kids altogether and when they're all out at the same time, the whole place just turns into a circus. The parents are aware of this and even encourage their kids to play there. I see new faces outside everyday, as if parents just treat this place as some daycare center, or something.

My windows are constantly shut. I can't go out to the backyard to relax because of all the noise. I can't get any peace at all. I feel trapped in my own house. What can I do? What are my rights? Keep in mind that all of this is usually happening on either my sidewalk or the road right in front of my house. Please help! Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

PghREA

Hang in there, they eventually grow up or move away. Remember, you were once a child too and probably just as obnoxious.

msiron

That is awful. Personally I would sell my house (allow it to be shown during school hours only) and move.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

And I'll bet, some of them are foreigners, too!

I'd call INS and get them deported. If that didn't work, I'd pull out my Thompson Sub-Machine gun, and play a little "Pretty Boy Floyd" on their collective !

IAAL

Last edited by a moderator:
W

WandaJune

We Had the Same Problem

A lot of little brats would yell and scream in my trailer park. My boyfriend, Wayne, solved the problem easily by going out to the front of our trailer and exposing himself. He is well over 300 pounds and it would terrify the little beasts.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

WandaJune said:
A lot of little brats would yell and scream in my trailer park. My boyfriend, Wayne, solved the problem easily by going out to the front of our trailer and exposing himself. He is well over 300 pounds and it would terrify the little beasts.

My response:

Funny!

But, to someone reading this from one of the other Dufus States, this would be normal - - and probably wonder what was so funny.

IAAL

John Se

You dont like kids?

dont you like kids?, cant you appreciate them for their unpolluted innocence, Are they out there having fun? How dare they?, Do you remember what having fun is like. watch closely, or make friends with some of the little ones and their parents, maybe they will teach you something you forgot long ago about, joy, happiness, peace and contentment. You could probably learn something from them. They are truly a wonder and the future.

lmta

John Se said:
dont you like kids?, cant you appreciate them for their unpolluted innocence, Are they out there having fun? How dare they?, Do you remember what having fun is like. watch closely, or make friends with some of the little ones and their parents, maybe they will teach you something you forgot long ago about, joy, happiness, peace and contentment. You could probably learn something from them. They are truly a wonder and the future.
It's easy to say that they're truly a wonder when you don't have to live next to them. If you were to be locked up in my house for a month, you'd be begging to leave on day 2.

You recommend watching them, and sometimes I feel like I have to babysit them everytime they're outside to make sure they don't break anything or hurt themselves. If they hurt themselves on my property, their parents would hold me responsible.

As far as getting to know them, I really don't want to "make friends" with someone who exchanges obscenities with their 8 year old kids.

The kids are somewhat nice when they're alone, but when they get together it's a whole different story.

John Se

Better windows

Its amazing how quiet the newest double pane windows are!, Maybe if you took on the role of the evil witch in hansel and gretel, they would learn to stay away!

lmta

John, please stop resorting to personal attacks. You seem to take my post very personal-- are you my neighbor? I'm all for kids having fun, as long as they do it somewhere else.

As far as windows go, it's a very expensive solution, but one I'm still working on (literally). But the problem won't go away even with windows. If you read through my post, you'll see that noise isn't the whole problem.

HomeGuru

lmta said:
John, please stop resorting to personal attacks. You seem to take my post very personal-- are you my neighbor?

**A: yes, he is. Look out your window now, see him staring at you.

TNBSMommy

Why don't you just sell your house, hopefully to a family and move to a neighborhood with no or few children if living there is so unbearable.

And yes, I can see and hear children almost everytime I look out my window, or door and still think they are a wonder! I even have two of my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">